Saturday, September 20, 2014

Monday, September 15 & Tuesday, September 16: Miami, FL


9/15/14- 7:30 p.m.

I was going to go do laundry this morning, but Claire invited me to join her and Georgie at the beach, so I decided that my dirty clothes could wait for one more day.

I picked up Helen at the show hotel, and then we drove to South Beach to have some fun in the sun. Luckily I was able to find parking a block from the beach, and we found Claire and Georgie without too much trouble.

I was a little worried about getting in the ocean since there had been many jellyfish sightings lately, but once Claire and I went in the water and started playing, I was having too much fun to care.

Claire and I played a game that she introduced me to called "Whales". It's a fairly straightforward game, and we even had Georgie use her dulcet tones to serve as our National Geographic narrator.

video
As you can tell, I was the great white whale....

We also played beached whales,


and did handstands underwater.

I wasn't awarded any points for style.

At one point Claire and I were out pretty far where we had found a sand bar to stand on. We were talking, and I looked over just in time to see a huge jellyfish floating by my head!
It was at that point that I decided I'd had enough ocean fun for one day, and I headed back to our beach umbrella.

After awhile we all decided that we were hungry, so we walked along Ocean Drive, which runs parallel to the beach.
We dined at an Italian restaurant that had great lunch specials, and the nicest wait staff I've experienced yet in Miami, a town not really known for customer service.


After a little more time on the beach I dropped the dancers off at the hotel and went back to my trailer to rinse all the sand out of my nether regions.

We had a small crowd for the show tonight, and to make matters worse we had an awful carpenter gag. Ryan and I were both way off our game, and we were screwing up technical things left and right.

On our walk of shame from the tent to the trailers, which takes us through an unsavory part of town, a friendly drug dealer across the street yelled over to us to hawk his wares.
After listing all of his products available for purchase to the two clowns, he advised us to "holler at him" if we wanted something.
Well, this life is never boring, that's for sure!


9/16/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I finally went to do laundry, which I simply couldn't put off another day. While my clothes were drying I had lunch at a nearby Latin American restaurant, a Miami chain that came highly recommended by a friend. The food was great, but my waitress is not going to be winning Miss Congeniality anytime soon!

I had a very low key day compared to yesterday. Ryan, Nico, and I walked a few blocks from the lot to an art store so Ryan could shop for supplies.
While he browsed I explained all the different art tools to Nico. I think it was a mutually beneficial lesson.

We had a better crowd for the show tonight, a trend that I hope continues until we get to the usually busy weekend shows.

Klaus, who trained the show's horses, implemented a new ending to the liberty act tonight. He threw a handkerchief to the last horse, who caught it in his mouth and used it to wave goodbye to the audience.
Very cute, and a real crowd pleaser!

No comments: