Saturday, September 27, 2014

Monday, September 22-Wednesday, September 24: Travel To Bronx, NY


9/22/14- Travel Day

Ryan and I didn't leave as early as we would have liked to this morning because there was a flat bed trailer in front of Ryan's house.
Luckily some of the men on the show were nice enough to help us move it out of the way, and we were able to leave Miami around noon.

We made our first stop at a Flying J truck stop about 120 miles into the 1,300 mile jump. While we were filling our propane tanks, dumping our black water, and fueling up, it began to rain buckets!
I got completely soaked while filling up my truck because the rain was blowing right into my back. I had to change into some dry clothes before we continued our drive.

The heavy rain stayed with us for a long time after leaving Flying J. Even later into the evening it was still drizzling on and off; the precipitation really slowed down our progress.

We stopped for the night around 1:00 a.m. in Walterboro, SC, my home town!


9/23/14- Travel Day

This morning my uncle, Richard, and my Nana came by the Walmart where we had parked for the night.
We went back to Nana's house to visit until Ryan, Tatiana, and Nico had woken up. When they were ready to go we went to pick them up and go to eat.

Nana and Richard treated us to breakfast, and it was nice to spend some time catching up with them. I haven't seen my family since the week surrounding Christmas. My Mom was unfortunately in San Francisco on vacation.

Nana and Richard dropped us back off at Walmart where we did some shopping before hitting the road again.
I purchased a new battery for my trailer since my old one wasn't charging very well.

We left Walterboro around noon. We had 545 miles under our belts, but still a long way to go.
Unfortunately it was still drizzling for most of the day.

We finally stopped at a Flying J in North East, MD at 3:30 a.m.
Tatiana's twin brothers and her younger sister, Delena, arrived around the same time. They were heading down to Georgia from New Hampshire, so we made plans to meet in Maryland.

I said, "Hello, I must be going" before quickly heading into my trailer and collapsing into bed. I have a hard time keeping awake once we start driving after midnight, and it is a miracle that I did as well as I did considering the ungodly hour we stopped.


9/24/14- Travel Day

One of the reasons we picked our stopping point in Maryland was so that we could see some of our friends from the Baltimore area.
First to arrive was Carol Lang, who we first met on Kelly Miller through our mutual friend, Natalie.
Carol brought bags of goodies for all of us to share, which we appreciated greatly.

Also visiting were Pat and Thom Stevenson, our friends from the Freestate Clown Alley and the John Ringling North II/Steve & Ryan Circus Fans of America tent.
Pat and Thom brought us each a snazzy new shirt bearing the tent's logo!


We visited with Carol, Pat, Thom, and Delena all afternoon, and our friends from Maryland also treated us to lunch at the Denny's conveniently located in the Flying J.

Finally in the late afternoon we said our goodbyes, and around 7:00 p.m. we left North East to embark on the final 150 miles of our jump to New York City!
We waited all day before leaving so that we could avoid horrible rush hour traffic.

I've been so worried about the drive into NYC since the beginning of the tour, but in reality I think it was the easiest part of the jump.
It definitely helped that we crossed the George Washington Bridge into the Bronx around 11:00 p.m. Traffic wasn't bad at all.
Once we were across the bridge it was just a few miles to the lot.

Shortly after we arrived at the lot our trailers were parked. It was a bit of a tricky parking job because a lot of trailers were already spotted in the long, narrow area where we needed to go. We had to squeeze by some of the houses and take a sharp turn between a trailer and a concrete wall to get to our spots, but we had Enrique directing us, so it wasn't too bad.

Once we were parked we were able to plug into power, which had just been provided to the trailers.
I got everything hooked up and went to bed, excited to begin our 10 week engagement in the Big Apple!

2 comments:

Carl Bly said...

So you guys are playing opposite Big Apple's engagement. I'm sure people will be going back and forth. I'll be in the city on the 6th, but unfortunately only for that night as my niece has her debut at the Met that night. Is there a show on the 7th? Glad your jump was uneventful! Appreciate the show video from Atlanta.

I am reading Paul Binder's book right now. If you have not read it, it is very engaging as it is a collection of stories that happened during his career. You should start keeping a thumb drive with special stories from your blog through the years. Then you can do something like that later in life. I have laughed out loud, and shared certain stories with my wife through my time reading your blog! Enjoy the city.

Steve Copeland said...

I think our two shows play to completely different demographics, but I'm sure that there will be some people that see both.
I know I will! (Although I see ours from the inside out)

There is indeed a show on the 7th at 7:30 p.m.

Paul Binder's book was very entertaining. Hopefully one day I can write a book, maybe even with some stories I have withheld from the blog.

Thank you for reading!

Steve