Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thursday, September 11: Miami, FL- 7:30 p.m.


This morning I woke up at 4 a.m. to get ready for our national television appearance on UNIVISION's "Despierta America" (Wake Up, America).
Ryan and I gave Laura a ride over to the tent around 5:15 a.m. as we and the dancers had been told to be ready to go at 5:30 a.m.

We were all in make up and costume at the time we were told, but we didn't actually do anything until the show began broadcasting at 7:00 a.m. grumble grumble

All of the segments we filmed concerned William Valdes, a young host from the program, joining the circus.


William was very nice, and Ryan knew from meeting with him a couple of days ago that he was game for whatever crazy ideas we had.
It turns out that William had actually worked as a clown in the Cuban National Circus at the age of 6, so he was no stranger to wearing make up and acting a fool.





He knew what was coming...

We filmed our three segments pretty early in the broadcast, but the director wanted us to hang around for the final shot, which was still two hours away.
Ryan and I made ourselves comfortable, had a donut and a couple cups of coffee, and visited with people while the broadcast continued.

Finally 10 a.m. rolled around and we filmed a segment where everyone waved goodbye to the viewers at home.
As soon as it concluded, we were told that we needed to film a two minute segment in about twenty minutes.

We were a little thrown, because we had planned for everything else; this new segment was news to us.
Filling two minutes of air time would normally not be a problem, but they wanted us to include William in our hi jinx.

Ryan and I quickly brainstormed some ideas while we gathered props and changed into our vacuum gag jumpsuits (since Ryan's has rip away pants, giving us one more visual bit to use).
While we were changing, Mario ran into the dressing room to tell us that we were going live in one minute!
Ryan and I freaked out; I'm not sure what happened to the twenty minutes of prep time we were promised.

Ryan and I ran out to the ring with thirty seconds to spare and quickly briefed William on how to swing a board and knock us down. That was the only thing we were able to plan before we began filming.

Ryan and I pulled two minutes of "comedy" out of our butts, including William in the improvisation as best we could.
Most of it didn't make sense, and it wasn't really funny, but we filled the time and no one was killed or seriously maimed.

I was a little upset that this segment was thrown on us like that. It's one thing to look bad on a local channel, but to present a mediocre product on a national broadcast is not something I'm proud of.

Ryan and I were finally finished around 10:30 a.m., so we headed home to get cleaned up and rest.
I noticed that my truck was not blocked in anymore, so I took advantage of the opportunity and drove to the post office before taking a nice, long nap.

Patrick Acton, a former Ringling clown, and his wife, Candice, came to see the show tonight.
Here's me and Pat when he was on Ringling. I was 16, and only slightly more of a dork than I am now:


Pat's brother, Leo, and I worked together on Ringling, and Leo is currently on tour with Culpepper Merriweather.
Alright, enough with the Circus Edition Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon....

After the show Pat and Candice treated me to dinner over at Bayside, where we swapped war stories over fruity tropical drinks.
Ah, Miami, the lap of luxury!

1 comment:

EleFanOhio said...

"Oh, so you're a clown. Do something funny."

Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch. . . .