Sunday, September 28, 2014

Thursday, September 25 & Friday, September 26: Bronx, NY


9/25/14- Day Off!

Today was rainy, but I didn't let that stop me from taking a bite out of the Big Apple!
First I took a bite out of some tasty Hungarian food at Andre's Cafe in Manhattan. I fell in love with Hungarian cooking on Ringling, which is where I worked with many clowns from Hungary.

At Andre's I ordered one of my favorite magyar dishes, rakkot krumpli, which is a casserole with potatoes, eggs, sausage, and sour cream. It was delicious!
I was hoping they'd have dobos torta (drummer cake) for dessert, but they were out that day. Good thing we're in town for 10 weeks!

After lunch I walked up the block to a shoe repair shop. Even though one of my Marty Scott clown shoes had its holes stitched up in Atlanta, the leather is just so dried out that it tore open again.
The cobbler is going to replace the whole piece of leather on the front of the shoe. This time I'll make sure to take better care of my footwear!

Later in the afternoon I met Genevieve and Amanda in Times Square. Genevieve was a clown on Ringling last year, and she is in NYC auditioning for Cirque Du Soliel. Amanda is a photographer in town who took some great shots of me and Ryan on Kelly Miller last season.
We had dinner at a pub a block up from Times Square where it wasn't so crowded and crazy.

I had a good time visiting, but I had to cut out after awhile so I could catch an 8:00 p.m. performance of "Pippin" on Broadway.
The show was amazing! If you get a chance, please check it out. I thought the circus theme was used very well throughout the entire musical; there were so many creative uses of the ensemble's circus skills.

After the show I met up with Georgie and Claire at an upscale bar to have a drink. They had seen "Cinderella", and they were waiting for midnight when Georgie would turn into a pumpkin....I mean, start her birthday.
Emma and Laura arrived just in time to wish her a happy birthday with us. They had just gotten out of Madison Square Garden, where they went to see Pitbull in concert.
The dancers, and everyone else who stays in hotels on this tour, are all living in rented trailers for our New York engagements, so I gave them some lessons in "Trailer Life 101".
(If they had read some of my old Kelly Miller blogs, they would have known better than to ask me for trailer advice!)

When the bar closed down we attempted to catch the subway back to the lot, but the trains were taking forever.
We finally caught a cab, which wasn't bad at all since there were five of us splitting the cost.


9/26/14- 9:00 p.m.

There is a large plaza right across the street from the lot that contains a Target, BJ's, Home Depot, Best Buy, as well as several other shops and restaurants.
I went to Target to pick up some groceries for this weekend. Some friends told me that I should stock up on supplies while we're here in the Bronx, because there isn't the same kind of shopping convenience in Queens.

At 5:00 p.m. Ryan and I were in make up and costume for our television publicity, but once we got to the front of the tent we discovered that we were not needed until 6:00 p.m.
A little before 6:00 we returned to the front to film a couple of teases and a weather segment with a lady from the local UNIVISION station.
A group of people who had come to buy tickets to the show came over and stood behind the three of us while we made television magic.
When the camera wasn't rolling Ryan and I talked to the people and made friends...probably a couple of enemies too.

We only had one show tonight at 9 p.m., which was fantastic. Ryan and I got all of our props unloaded and set up between the end of the publicity and the start of the show.

We had a great audience for our opening night in New York City. The only downside was that we picked a guy in the audience for the start of the vacuum gag that turned out to be a real jerk. His attempts at being funnier than us put a damper on the end of the show for me.

No comments: