Monday, September 8, 2014

Thursday, September 4 & Friday, September 5: Miami, FL


9/4/14- Day Off

This morning I woke up and looked outside my trailer to see what was going on. I noticed that most of the trailers parked on the street had been moved, so I was hopeful that soon Ryan and I would be parked as well.

Finally in the late morning we received word that we could head over to where the trailers were being parked.
Here in Miami the trailers are a half mile walk from the tent; I can tell this is going to be an interesting engagement.

At 1:30 p.m. Ryan and I met with Alexa Vazquez, her dad, "Pepe", and Bronson, who is in charge of Vazquez's PR team.
They told us that tomorrow we would be appearing on "El Gordo Y La Flaca" (aka The Fat Man and the Skinny Woman), which is a famous nationally broadcast television program on UNIVISION.
Bronson stressed to us what a big deal this appearance was, but we were happy to hear that the only thing we needed to be concerned about is being funny. Memo Vazquez would also be appearing on the program, and it would be his job to promote our show.

Since we were going to be on national television tomorrow I went to the laundromat to clean some of my costume pieces, and I also got a hair cut.

When I got back to the lot I found that I could hook my trailer up to the city water, but unfortunately I didn't have enough hose to reach the main water outlet, and I couldn't connect anywhere closer because my Y connector was stolen during tear down in Atlanta.

I drove to Home Depot to pick up fifty more feet of hose, and I also grabbed another Y connector. Back at the lot I used both of my purchases to get running water in my home.

By this point I was starving since the only thing I had eaten today were some disappointing mini empanadas from a little restaurant next to the laundromat.
I walked over to Bayside, the shopping and dining plaza about a mile from the lot, and I had dinner at the Mambo Cafe. I was able to get a table with a nice view of the water, and I had a very relaxing evening enjoying a glass of sangria and a medianoche (a Cuban sandwich with pork, swiss cheese, and pickles served on a soft roll).

Back at the trailers I discovered that we still did not have power, and my generator was about to run out of gas.
The area where we were all temporarily parking our vehicles was very small, so my truck was completely blocked in.
With no other choice, I grabbed my gas can and walked to the nearest gas station, which was about half a mile away.


9/5/14- "Day Off"

This morning I woke up to run my generator, but I saw that I could now plug into show power. I got my trailer hooked up, and then I went on the hunt for breakfast.
My truck was still blocked in, and I didn't feel like walking all the way to Bayside, so I tried to find a restaurant closer to the lot.....to no avail.
I finally bought some eggs from the little ghetto convenience store on the corner near the lot.
I didn't have any food available in my house because everything in the fridge went bad due to the long periods without power.

Ryan and I were picked up at 11:00 a.m. and taken to the UNIVISION station to film our appearance on "El Gordo Y La Flaca".
We met with the director and producer of the show, who briefly outlined the different appearances they had planned for us. They gave us their ideas and asked for our input as well.
They seemed thrown by our serious, studious nature during these brainstorming sessions. I think they were expecting us to be cavorting around, honking bicycle horns, and spraying them with our lapel flowers since we were dressed like clowns.

After our meeting we had a lot of down time until the show began taping, so we hung out with Bronson and picked his brain about promoting the circus.

I was under the assumption that "El Gordo Y La Flaca" was broadcast live, but although the filming is run like a live shoot (i.e. no stopping to fix errors), everything is taped to be broadcast later.
"El Gordo" was not present, as he was in NYC, but Lili (a.k.a "La Flaca"), and her co-host, Carlos, were both very nice.

Ryan and I were prepared to take place in five segments, but due to extensive coverage of Joan Rivers' death, we were cut down to three appearances.
For the first two segments Ryan and I took on a Marx Bros. attitude, and we would run in unannounced to wreak mayhem on the program.
For the final segment Memo Vazquez promoted the show while Ryan and I provided color and action around him and the hosts.

Thank you to everyone at UNIVISION and "El Gordo Y La Flaca" for your hospitality and a very entertaining experience.



Back at the lot Ryan and I got cleaned up, and then we were able to watch ourselves on TV as the program was broadcast coast to coast. That was the first time I'd ever been able to do that, and it was a neat experience.

After "El Gordo Y La Flaca" ended I joined Ryan and his family for dinner at an Argentinean steakhouse at Bayside.
We weren't too impressed with the quality of the meat; however, everything that you receive with the price of the buffet made our meal a hard deal to beat.

Back at the lot I spent a couple of hours hanging out with Teo, who was waiting to set up his sound equipment in the big top.
We were scheduled to open tonight, but yesterday we were told that we wouldn't open until Saturday evening since the tent didn't start going up until late Thursday night.

No comments: