Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tuesday, September 2: Travel Day To Miami, FL


Ryan, Tatiana, Nico, and I got up early this morning to have breakfast. I wanted to experience the wonder of the Flying Biscuit Cafe one more time, and I wanted to share that wonder with Ryan and his family.

I couldn't believe it when I stepped out of my house, but the majority of the trailers had already left! This was two hours before the time we were all supposed to leave, which usually seems to be viewed as a suggestion rather than an order.

Once we got back to the lot from breakfast I rolled up my cables and hoses, I hooked up my truck to my trailer, and I finished packing up my house.

Ryan and I left the lot in Atlanta at 10:30 a.m., and we were among the last trailers to leave, quite the opposite from the usual travel day scenario.

There were all manner of set backs keeping us from having an easy 675 mile jump down to Miami. We theoretically could have been there by 1:00 a.m. or so, but......
1) We missed a hard to spot Flying J truck stop at one exit, and we went 7 miles out of the way on a winding back road before we could find a place to turn around and drive back to the truck stop.
2) Ryan popped a trailer tire, so I went ahead to another truck stop to have lunch and wait for him
3) After changing the offending tire, Ryan noticed that most of the others on his house were on their last leg (so to speak), so he found a shop that changed out almost all of his trailer tires.
4) Nico wasn't feeling well and threw up a couple of times, so each time we pulled over so he could get cleaned up.

Finally around 2:00 a.m. I threw in the towel and said that I couldn't drive anymore. I had a cup of coffee around 1:00 a.m., but as soon as I finished it my eyes started growing heavy again.

We stopped at a travel plaza on the Florida Turnpike that was about 150 miles from Miami. I was grateful we found a plaza with parking; the previous two had been completely full with semi trucks.

No comments: