Monday, October 6, 2014

Sunday, October 5: Bronx, NY- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.


This morning I met a group of my clown friends in Manhattan for breakfast. Josh Shack, Joy Powers, and John Stork, better known as the Piccolini Trio, and Dan Berkley, former circus clown turned high school physics teacher, met me around 59th Street, and from there we found a great place to eat.
I had a good time catching up with everyone since I hadn't seen the four of them since my last trip to NYC in January 2013.

After breakfast we walked around a bit while Josh, Joy, and John looked for a few last minute props for their show that afternoon.
They found two of their most important props, a potato and a banana, at a Whole Foods Market in the area.
I think Ryan and I need to take a page from the Piccolini play book when it comes to planning material in the future.....

I got a nice adrenaline rush to start off my three show day when our first performance began ten minutes early!
Eddie went into the dressing room around 1:45 p.m. to let everyone know the show would be starting five minutes early.
Ryan texted to let me know, but I took five minutes early to mean 1:55 p.m. Boy did my pulse quicken when I heard the overture start at 1:50 on the dot while I was still in my trailer, in make up but without even my clown nose on!

I ran over to the tent, glueing my nose on as I went, and after getting dressed I discovered that I had left my wig in my trailer. Another mad dash to my house and back followed, and I was one panting, out of breath clown for the first opening.

We did great business for the three shows today. Peter Bufano, my musician friend who I visited with on Thursday, came to watch the first performance.

While the cast was waiting in the curtain to do the second opening, a few of us were commenting on how tired and drained we were feeling for the 5:00 p.m. show.
Darina, from the flying act, summed it up best, "I feel like someone killed me and then said, 'Hey, go to work.'"

Laura gave an excellent speech before the third show began. She gave each of the speech attending regulars a little slip of paper earlier in the day, and we were each assigned a person from that group to write something nice about.
I was given Helen, and before I started with the sincerity, I of course had to get a joke in: "One nice thing about Helen is.....she's not Claire." (This after Claire had just shared a piece of Nutela cheesecake with me and Ryan. Oh well, it was probably poisoned anyway....)
The little love fest our group shared really put me in a great frame of mind for the last show, but it also made me realize how much I'm going to miss my friends who are leaving when the season concludes in eight weeks.

Tonight I watched the classic werewolf film, "The Howling", for the "Scare-athon". Everyone always raves about "American Werewolf In London", which I do feel is a superior movie, but "The Howling" came out only a few months earlier, and its special effects were just as mind blowing as its successor.


4 comments:

Greg Michales said...

Steve
Have we have tickets for the 9:00 show Sat. We will see you guys then.
Greg

Steve Copeland said...

Great! We're looking forward to seeing you and your family.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't know you made a cameo in the movie? Did you do your own makeup?

Steve Copeland said...

I don't like to talk about it. I was young and needed the money.

Steve