Thursday, October 23, 2014

Tuesday, October 21 & Wednesday, October 22: Bronx, NY


10/21/14- Day Off!

Today Ryan, Chase and I went down to the East Village to look around and window shop in all the different cool stores.

At 2:00 p.m. we met Ryan's high school friend, Nate Fernald, who writes comedy for television and also performs his own stand up comedy.
We ate lunch at Ben's, the great Jewish deli we visited on the last day off, and talked shop with Nate.
He was also nice enough to give us CDs of him and his partner performing stand up as "Team Submarine".

Ryan, Chase, and I submitted our names for the lottery to win tickets to "Book of Mormon", but once again we did not win.
Chase bought a ticket to "A Gentleman's Guide To Love And Murder", which we saw last week, and I  checked the box office for the star studded show, "It's Only A Play", to see if they had any tickets for less than $100. Alas, those seats are sold out for the next few weeks.

Since the other Broadway shows I want to see aren't open yet, or I am waiting to see them with friends, I decided not to attend the theatre tonight.
Ryan, Chase, and I waited outside the theatre for "It's Only A Play" while I wrote down directions for Chase to find his way back to the lot after his show.

While I was writing I heard Chase say something along the lines of, "Oh my God", and then Ryan quickly said, "Steve, turn around."
I looked behind me and was thrilled to see brilliant comedic actor, Nathan Lane, one of the stars of "It's Only A Play", walking down the sidewalk towards us.
He walked by the three of us as we stared at him with our mouths hanging open and our hearts pounding in our chests.
That up close and personal celebrity sighting was definitely the highlight of my day off!

After parting ways with Chase, Ryan and I went back to the Village to pick up some of the items we had been eyeing earlier in the day.
We headed back to the lot afterwards, and I was overcome with exhaustion while we rode on the subway up to the Bronx.
Just the thought of the walk back to the tent was enough to wear me out even further.

Ryan and I didn't clean the water mat Monday night so we could rush out the door to my birthday party, so before we began relaxing for the rest of the evening, we went into the tent to get that task out of the way.

In Ryan's trailer we began watching a new television series that he picked up last week. Halfway through the first episode both of us were out like lights; we woke up as the credits were rolling.
I'm not sure if that was a reflection on the show, or our late night and full day of walking around Manhattan.

Once we had woken up again we listened to the "Team Submarine" CDs which Nate had given us; those provided us with many laughs until Chase returned from seeing his show.
We spent the rest of the evening talking clowning with Chase and eating the ice cream that he brought as a free roll.


10/22/14- 7:30 p.m.

Today was a rainy day, so I didn't stray too far from the lot. I went over to Target in the morning to have a coffee at Starbucks and to use Wifi to download my "stories" (said like an old woman talking about soap operas).

Later in the day Ryan, Chase, and I walked to a pizza joint to grab a few slices to go. We enjoyed them in Ryan's trailer where it was warm and dry; we spent the whole afternoon talking shop and watching clown and comedy videos.

All evening it would just not stop raining. I had to do some creative exits after the water and carpenter gags because the area under the seats where I usually leave was flooded from all the precipitation.
Chase watched the show with two of his friends from the Ringling Red Unit, Brian Wright, a clown, and his wife, Tatiana.

Chase, Brian, and Tatiana visited with us briefly after the show, but then they had to head out since they open in Bridgeport, CT with Ringling tomorrow night.

No comments: