Monday, November 17, 2014

Friday, November 14 & Saturday, November 15: Queens, NY


11/14/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning many of us in the cast were slated to appear on "Despierta America", UNIVISION's version of "Good Morning America".
I got up at 5:30 a.m. to huddle in front of my heater and have coffee before slapping on the greasepaint.

Even though the program didn't begin until 7:00, we were told to be ready at 6:30 a.m. This left Ryan and I, two groggy, bored clowns, waiting in the tent in full make up and costume for a half hour. That's a sure recipe for disaster....or hilarity, depending on how you look at it.
UNIVISION brought some circusy music to play during some of the shots, and they had a very jaunty piece of clown music playing over and over on the sound system.
Ryan claims that music woke him up more than the coffee he was drinking. In fact, with the music and a couple of stray balloons serving as his inspiration, Ryan put on a little impromptu performance for the entertainment of anyone watching.

video
Ok, I guess disaster was the more appropriate term

Our first two hits for the broadcast were done outside, where it was freezing! 
I was cold in my layered agent suit, so I can't even imagine how the dancers felt in their skimpy little outfits. 

After the first hit the dancers went back inside, but Ryan and I put on our robes and waited for the next segment since the crew told us it would be in a few minutes.
After the second hit nothing was said to us about when we would next go live, so Ryan and I went inside the tent to warm up.

It turns out that we weren't needed again until the end of the program, so I'm happy we took the initiative to seek shelter.
We spent our time in the seats talking with the dancers. They had gotten back to the circus at 3:30 a.m., so I was happy that I decided not to go to the drag show with them.

This was when Claire was telling everyone the story of when I fell off my trailer

Our PR information sheet told us that the broadcast lasted until 11:30 a.m., so you can imagine my happiness when I was informed that the show actually ended at 9:30 a.m.
We filmed two quick hits at the end of the broadcast, and then I went home to shower and climb right into bed!

This evening Maike Schulz, the amazing photographer who takes pictures for Spectacle Magazine, came to watch and shoot both shows.
I can't wait to see her work!

Maike was nice enough to bring us a CD of the photos she took on Kelly Miller last year, and she also brought prints of two of the pictures:



Maike told us that the photo of Ryan putting on his makeup sold at one of her shows for $600! 
Who knew that Ryan in his underwear would be that valuable?!
I better start hustling him on the street corner after the shows.

After work I jumped on a train to Manhattan and met Yael at Barcade, a bar with classic arcade games.
When I arrived at midnight the place was packed, but within an hour the crowd had thinned out considerably.

Yael and I played so many arcade standards: Mrs. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Tapper, Frogger....it was definitely a fun, nostalgic trip down memory lane.
I was most excited that Barcade had the Simpsons arcade game, which I haven't played since I was a little kid.

Yael and I had such a great time that before we knew it it was close to 4:00 a.m., the bar's closing time.
We grabbed a couple of pieces of pizza at a nearby parlor, and then I headed home.

I got mighty cold waiting on the subway trains to take me back to Queens. I found no relief in my trailer either, as it had become an icebox after the show power was turned off.

I was fine once I crawled under all my blankets, and I finally fell asleep about 5:00 a.m.


11/15/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Even though I only got five hours of sleep, I felt great when I got up this morning.

I headed into Times Square to try and win cheap tickets for The Book of Mormon, but once again my name was not drawn.

I headed back to Queens since it was too cold to stay outside for longer than necessary. 
Once I got to Flushing I visited the dim sum restaurant in the New World Shopping Center, but I didn't enjoy my meal as much this time.
I didn't think there was enough variety in the food on the carts going by, and I really missed the fantastic company I had the last time I ate there.

We had full houses for the shows tonight. The Azzario sisters' act was back in the show after an absence of two days.
Katie had pulled a muscle in her back, but luckily it was minor and she just needed some rest to heal it.

In the second show we made some changes to the entrance and exit of the water gag. Memo asked us to change the entrance; he wanted us to come down to the ring curb earlier during our time in the seats so that more people could see us.
We had to change the exit out of necessity. During the first show one of the follow spotlights burned out, and Eddie told us that the replacement was worthless as well.
Because of that I exited through the seats with Ryan so that they could light us both with the same spot.
It actually worked out well, because we milked one more laugh out of the crowd. When we both styled at the end of our theme song, I cracked Ryan in the face with the back of my hand.

Our composer friend, Larry Lees, came to see the second show. Larry has composed and written several pieces of music for us, and this was the first time he has seen us perform.
I was happy that he got to hear the band play the Tarantella and the Steve & Ryan theme that he wrote.

No comments: