Sunday, November 30, 2014

Friday, November 28 & Saturday, November 29: Queens, NY


11/28/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

I celebrated Black Friday by getting a hair cut and buying two new tires for my trailer!
Oh, and I also got trampled a bit, in the spirit of the day.

Our friends, Steve Smith and Al Rios, came to visit this afternoon and to watch the first show.
Al was a Ringling clown, and he is currently a teacher in Long Island. Steve was the dean of Clown College for ten years, and has also directed a few editions of the Big Apple Circus.

Al brought Thanksgiving leftovers and cookies for us, so Ryan and I enjoyed sitting and enjoying the delicious food with some amazing company.



I was disappointed that the audiences tonight were rather subdued for the show; I'm hoping they lighten up a little for the other weekend shows.

Eddie, our production manager, had us try a lighting change in the vacuum gag. He lit just the front of the ring so that the audience won't be able to see the Flying Heroes climbing the ladders to their trapeze platforms.
It took some getting used to, but I think it is going to work out great.

Speaking of the vacuum gag, at the beginning I was in the seats cleaning people's belongings with my feather duster when I saw a woman with a purse.
Like the Artful Dodger, I quickly snatched the purse out of her hands and began cleaning it. I was highly amused when I looked inside and saw that she had stolen three rolls of the circus' toilet paper from the donnikers! 
For shame, Madame!


11/29/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Today was my last chance to see "The Book of Mormon" on Broadway, so I went to the theatre a little early to get in the Standing Room line.
I made friends with the people around me, so when it was time for the Lottery we held each others' places in line so that we could all enter our names for the drawing.

I'm happy that I got into the Standing Room Line early, because once again I did not win the Lottery.
However, after a mere hour and a half of waiting in the cold, I was sold a Standing Room ticket for $27!
Thanks for the recommendation, Matthew!

Cue Heavenly choir

Ticket clutched triumphantly in hand, I quickly made my way to a restaurant to eat and warm up. Even though I prepared for the cold by wearing double layers, I neglected to put two pairs of socks on, so my feet were frozen!

I had a great "seat" for "Book of Mormon". All of us with Standing Room tickets were assigned a space behind the last row of the orchestra where we could stand and watch the musical.
I was never that uncomfortable as I had a railing to lean on while I watched the performance.

What a great show! I'm so happy that I finally got to see it after weeks of trying. I was one happy clown.

I was worried about getting back to the lot in time for the show since "Book of Mormon" let out at 4:30 p.m., and our show was at 6:00 p.m., but I made it to my trailer with plenty of time to get into make up.

I don't know if it is because of the Thanksgiving weekend, or just because we are towards the end of our run, but we are not getting the weekend crowds that I remember from the beginning of our Queens engagement (I'm talking size and response wise. They're good, but not amazing like they were).
Hopefully things pick up a bit so we end the season with a bang instead of a whimper. 

No comments: