Sunday, November 2, 2014

Friday, October 31 & Saturday, November 1: Queens, NY


10/31/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning Josh and I went to Union Square to meet up with our friend Michael Dobson. Dobson is an excellent percussionist, and he has worked for Circus Smirkus, Big Apple, and shows all over the world.
Most recently he was performing with master clowns Bill Irwin and David Shiner on their newest collaboration, "Old Hats", in San Francisco.

Dobson, Josh, and I had lunch at an excellent Pakistani restaurant called the Desi Shack. It had an ordering system similar to the one found at Chipotle, where you choose all the ingredients to make up your meal.
I can't wait to go back and eat there again!

Joy joined us towards the end of our meal, so I was able to visit with her for a short time before I had to head back to the lot and get to work.

I went back to the lot a bit early because Ryan and I had to clean the mat for the water gag; it was pretty nasty from being folded up for four days.
I was just happy that the majority of our opening day work was already finished since we loaded in our props last night.

We had a really small, rough crowd for our first show in Queens. Maybe they all came to the show as zombies in honor of Halloween.
Josh and Joy watched that performance, and I texted them at Intermission to say how appropriate it was that we all got to experience death in the ring on Halloween.

There weren't many more people for the second performance, but they had loads of energy to spare. Ryan and I improvised some funny bits in the audience at the beginning of the water gag, and that seemed to get the audience on our side right away.
I'm so happy that we had the 9:00 p.m. audience to keep our opening night in Queens from being a total bust.

After the shows I got cleaned up and took the subway across Queens to Long Island City. My friend, Buist Bickley, was celebrating his 30th birthday, and he invited me to join his party at LIC Bar.
Since Buist's birthday is on Halloween, many of his guests were dressed up. I felt bad that I wasn't in costume, but by the time we were done with the shows and I was ready to leave the lot, it was already  after midnight. On top of that, I didn't have any great ideas, so I didn't want to put together anything half hearted.

Buist undoubtably had the best costume. He was dressed as Joan Rivers. My already tall friend was especially imposing in a pair of heels.

"Who are you wearing?"

I'm not much of a bar guy, especially when the place is packed, which it was, being Halloween.
Fortunately Buist had rented a little cabin behind the bar that had tables, chairs, and a fireplace! It was so nice having room to move around and mingle without being shoved around by a bunch of drunk people trying to squeeze past.

The majority of Buist's friends I talked to all knew him through the theatre world. It was neat to pick their brains on all the different aspects of their jobs, especially the people who build props for shows.


11/1/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Today was a cold, wet day. The constant drizzling rain and temperature in the low 40s made me want to stay inside until showtime.
I felt lucky with our weather; however, when I found out that my family in South Carolina was dealing with snow!

I was disappointed in the audiences tonight. Usually the Saturday shows have the liveliest crowds, but the people that showed up weren't really into our performance.
I'd like to blame the weather; it was pretty miserable out.

After the shows I joined Helen and Emma in their trailer for a cup of tea and a chat. It was a nice, warm, way to end a yucky day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this picture of us! Happy New Year! Enjoyed seeing you Christmas Eve, but wish we could have talked. I found this while googling myself :)

Steve Copeland said...

Buist,

Happy New Year!
I know, I wanted to talk on Christmas Eve, but I was giving Nana a ride home, and she took off pretty quick after the service ended.

Steve