Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Monday, November 10: Queens, NY- 7:30 p.m.


Today Ryan, Lee, Pete, Tatiana, Nico, and I met our friends Rob, Jane, Eggroll, and Bob Good in Flushing for Ryan's birthday lunch.
We were going to eat at the amazing dim sum restaurant that we visited last week, but Rob called us from the mall in which it was housed to let us know that the whole restaurant was closed to the public because a wedding party had rented it.

Instead we all walked to a nearby hot pot restaurant. I haven't been to a hot pot restaurant since I was in Shanghai six years ago. They work like this: everyone has a pot of water situated in the table in front of them, plus the controls for the temperature of the water.
You are provided with a bowl of vegetables, and then you order any meat or other items you want to eat. Once you have all of your food, you cook it in the pot in front of you.
Eggroll had never been to a hot pot restaurant before, and when I told him he had to cook his own meal, he asked, "Well, what am I paying the staff for?"



Even though I got a good night's sleep, my body was still feeling very worn out when it was time for our one show tonight.

I was impressed because we had a huge crowd for a Monday night show; the tent was almost full.
We had a lot of friendly faces in the crowd along with the "townies". Around forty members of the Big Apple Circus crew came to the show, as well as our friends, Rob and Jane, who brought Al Calienes, a clown who has worked on many different circuses, and Michael, who is a juggler.

I found it interesting that the audience seemed a bit reserved for such a big crowd, especially during our first two gags. But then we did the vacuum gag and killed! Go figure....

After the show I visited briefly with Jimmy and Tischa Tinsman, who came with the crew from Big Apple. They were both on Ringling in the 1970's, and they were also on Big Apple as performers in the 1980's.

I joined Rob, Jane, Al, and Michael for dinner at a Muslim Chinese restaurant in Flushing. The food was amazing, and everyone was nice enough to give me their leftovers at the end of the meal.
Hooray for mooching!

Alexa Vazquez was celebrating her 20th birthday with a big party in the tent tonight, but by the time I got back from dinner with my friends it was very late and I was too tired to stop by.
Ryan and I had given Alexa her present before the show, so I didn't feel too guilty about not attending the party.

No comments: