Thursday, November 6, 2014

Monday, November 3 & Tuesday, November 4: Queens, NY


11/3/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I went to do laundry at a laundromat not too far from the lot. It was way too crowded, and there was an annoying child running around with a laundry cart and crashing into everyone, so as soon as my clothes were dry I left and folded them back at my trailer.

Later in the day I put together my costume for the company's belated Halloween party, and I also practiced my trumpet.
Ryan and I are trying out a new song and dance number for the Christmas tour this year, and we also play trumpet in the act.
I had set November 1st as my deadline for being able to play the song without the sheet music, but I have been slacking on my practice lately.

We had a good turnout tonight for a Monday night performance. My friends, Watson Kawecki and Christine Duenas, came to see the show with their two children.
Watson and Christine were both Ringling clowns, and they were nice enough to correspond with and encourage me when I was a teenager.
They brought an excellent free roll of goodies from a bakery in Staten Island, which is where they live.

After the show was the Circo Hermanos Vazquez Halloween party.


Before the party started, Ryan and I helped Nico Espana apply his devil prothesis and make up.


Ryan had already helped Nico apply the same make up on Halloween, so it was simply a matter of reattaching the latex pieces and then touching up any areas that had ripped.


I had plenty of time to help Ryan and Nico because my costume was very simple:

Half the people at the party didn't understand what I was, so I had this picture handy on my phone to explain the joke.

Here are some of the more involved costumes from the party:














11/4/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I went to a post office in Long Island City to pick up a package that my friend, Jessi, sent to me from Japan.
I then went to the Union Square area to pick up a few gifts for upcoming birthdays. 
While I was there I couldn't pass up the chance to go back to Desi Shack, the delicious Pakistani restaurant that I was introduced to last week. 

Tonight a group of folks from Big Apple Circus came to see our show, including our friend, Eggroll, the ringmaster, West Hyler, who directed the current BAC production, and Mark Lonergan, who is directing next year's show.
They really enjoyed our show, and it was nice to chat with them for a few minutes after the performance.

After the show I left Ryan to visit with the Big Apple folks, and I hurried to get cleaned up for dinner with Yael.
Yael is an advertising executive for the make up company, L'Oreal, and she used to be a flying trapeze student and instructor.
We walked over to Flushing and had a delicious dinner at Nan Xiang Dumpling House, followed by a drink at a nearby pub. It was a nice night out.

2 comments:

Greg Michales said...

Steve
We like your costume, and nice they thought enough to make a poster of it. Also a nice write up on you and Ryan and the whole show in Spectacular you guys should be proud. Later.
Greg

Steve Copeland said...

That makes four of us then!
I saw the Spectacle review; gonna post it when I update the blog today.

Steve