Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Saturday, November 22 & Sunday, November 23: Queens, NY


11/22/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

I was so happy that it was warmer today. It got all the way up to the low 40s! A veritable heat wave!

I went into Manhattan this morning to once again try and win cheap tickets to "Book of Mormon"; I bet you can guess the outcome of that....

On the way back to the lot I stopped in Long Island City to pick up a package at the apartment of my friend, Dan.
While I was there he made coffee and we chatted for awhile.

Before heading back to my trailer for the day I went to Flushing to grab a late lunch. My friend, Christina, had given me a list of restaurants that I must visit while I was in the area, and so I decided to try "White Bear", which I had seen several times on my walks.

I went up to the counter and perused the menu for a minute before asking the woman working the register, "May I please have the pork and cabbage dumplings?"
The woman looked at me with a straight face and replied with a blunt, "No."
I was taken aback for a second, and I waited to see if she was going to laugh and let me in on the joke, but she just continued to stare at me before saying, "Number six is good."
Slightly perturbed, I looked over the menu once more to choose something else. I started to say, "Then, can I please have......", but then I saw that the woman simply walked away from me and went to fix a sign in the window.
I decided there were plenty of other places with far better customer service that I'd rather patronize, so I left in a huff.
Maybe it was more like a minute and a huff.....

It was nice and toasty in the tent for the shows tonight, and we had good crowds.

After work I headed to the East Village to have dinner and a drink at Simone's with my friends, Cricket, Evelyn, and Melissa.
After leaving Simone's Cricket and I decided that we were still hungry, so we all visited Mamoun's Falafel Restaurant, where we had delicious, inexpensive Middle Eastern food.

My friend, Dan, was nice enough to offer up his apartment as a place to lie my head tonight. It made perfect sense since it would keep me from having a long, late night trip back to my cold trailer at the circus, and also because I was having breakfast with him in the morning anyway.

I got to bed around 3:30 a.m. for the second night in a row. I'm getting too old for this!


11/23/14- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

Dan's girlfriend, Lisa, arrived from L.A. a couple of hours after I went to sleep, so she was feeling even more tired than I was this morning.
After a preliminary cup of coffee the three of us walked to a diner not too far from their apartment. Cricket met us there for breakfast, and we all had a good time catching up.

The weather today was even nicer than it was yesterday.
I was very worried about doing three shows after getting such little sleep, but the day was a piece of cake.
Sure my body felt exhausted a couple of times during the more strenuous parts of our gags, but I was expecting much worse!
It helped that we had great crowds for all three shows.

In the second vacuum gag I was doing a new bit where I flirt with a woman in the front row after knocking out Ryan.
It was slim pickings for women sitting front and center that show, but I had spotted a large woman with long, curly hair spilling out from her pink knit cap.
When it came time to do the bit I ran up onto the ring curb and flexed my muscles for her before getting on one knee and taking her hand.
I was very surprised to be offered a large paw of a hand that was as hard as stone. Suddenly I was doubting whether I was dealing with a she or a he.

It was too late to go back, so I committed to the bit and began kissing the mannish hand.
Ryan yelled out to stop me, and as I walked back towards him, I mouthed, "Is that a man?!"
Ryan couldn't give me a definite answer to that question, but noting that the person was wearing sunglasses inside the tent, Ryan commented, "I'm not sure, but I think she's blind."
This struck Ryan as hilarious, as out of all the women in the audience I chose a possibly blind transvestite.
Well, I guess we've identified my type....

Marcos gave the third show inspirational speech tonight, and then I gave an addendum, welcoming Amanda, our newest dancer, to the show. I also read a message from Georgie, and I dedicated the final show to her and Helen.

After the shows Claire invited me over for a delicious home cooked meal. I saw it as a peace offering to end our long standing rivalry, but that didn't stop me from laughing when she dropped her phone screen down in her food.

Silly ol' Claire!

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Hi Steve!
The best way to get cheap seats to the Book of Mormon is not through the lottery, but through the standing room line. After the lottery takes place, they sell 20 tickets at the box office for $32 to stand in the back of the theater and watch the show there. It seems like a long time to stand, but the show moves really fast. Just line up early at the box office several hours in advance because the line gets long really fast (last year around this time of year I got on the line at 8AM for them to sell the tickets at 12 for a matinee)!
-Matthew Lish

Steve Copeland said...

Great tip, Matthew!
If I don't win the lottery this coming Saturday, I will definitely do standing room line on my last chance to see it.
Or I'll see which day is going to have the best weather for standing in line for hours!

Steve