Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Saturday, November 8 & Sunday, November 9: Queens, NY


11/8/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning I went to the Village to get more gifts for people; it's crazy how many birthdays on the show are happening right around the same time.

While I was in the area I got in contact with Yael, and we met up for lunch at a delicious Mexican restaurant that wasn't too far from where she lives.

Back at the lot Ryan and I were needed to film a segment for "El Gordo y La Flaca", where Lupe (one of the characters on the show, played by a man dressed in drag) is trying to join the circus.

Lupe in all her glory

Several other performers were used for filming the segment, so Ryan and I were only needed for a few minutes.
Because of that, Eddie told us to come at the end of the hour filming slot so we wouldn't have to get into make up only to sit around, which is what we did yesterday.

We filmed a quick bit where I was standing on Ryan's shoulders, and Lupe decided that she wanted to try that too.
Ryan and I then tried, unsuccessfully, to lift her up onto Ryan's shoulders, but instead we suffered back injuries and gave up.
We filmed the bit twice, and then we were done. I'll be sure to post a link here once the segment is aired and available on the website.

Ryan's high school friend turned comedian and comedy writer, Nate Fernald, came to see the show tonight with his girlfriend, Calla.
Nate brought a VHS that he and another friend had made for Ryan while Ryan was away at Circus Smirkus. I transferred it to DVD, and we all watched it after the first performance. Both Nate and Ryan were really excited to watch it again since they hadn't seen it in over a decade.

After our shows this evening, both of which were full, there was a birthday party for Memo, our ringmaster, who is one of the five Vazquez brothers.
I'll say this, Memo knows how to party!
There was a company brought in that was making tacos and quesadillas to order, there were mariachis, a DJ that played a Spanish language version of "Achy Breaky Heart", and late in the evening there were even drag queens!

Carmelo singing with the mariachis
 One of the drag queens. I was a mite disappointed that it wasn't Lupe.

It's a good thing that Memo's party was late in the season; it set the bar pretty high!


11/9/14- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

I was feeling pretty worn out for the three shows today. A week of staying up late for parties finally caught up with me, and my body was constantly reminding me that I needed more rest.

The first two shows today were full, and the audiences were fantastic.

I went over to Georgie and Claire's trailer for tea before the third show, and I stumbled upon a little meal that Claire had prepared for all the dancers. I was happy that my mooching radar had worked so well, and also that the girls invited me to join them in their pre show nosh.

AJ, one of the stage crew members, gave today's motivational speech. He told us he was just going to speak from the heart and tell us things that he liked about each of us.
He told me that he learned from me that even if you're having a bad day, you still need to go out and do your best.

That was a nice reminder, because although the third show also had a big crowd, they were not as into the show as the earlier audiences were.
On top of that, I had a very off performance. The worst was in the vacuum gag, where I had a complete brain malfunction.
I didn't put the broom in the right spot at one point in the act, and it totally threw off the next section of bits.
I guess my brain finally caught up to my body in terms of being exhausted.

After the shows I went by Ryan's house to wish him Happy Birthday at the stroke of midnight. Ryan's mom, Lee, and brother, Pete, came to visit from Boston to spend time with him on his birthday.

At midnight we all gave Ryan his gifts. I was happy to see that he seemed to enjoy mine:


I left Ryan's house and popped over to Helen and Emma's trailer for a late night cup of tea. While we were talking, Emma decided that she was craving fries, and Helen and I both agreed that we were also hungry.
Helen and Emma didn't have any fries in their fridge, so Emma peeled potatoes and made the fries herself.
And that's how two dancers and a clown came to be eating homemade "chips" at 2:00 in the morning after a three show Sunday. 
And that amazingly random sentence perfectly sums up one of the things I love about the circus.

(Mostly I just love free food)

No comments: