Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sunday, November 2: Queens, NY- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.


This morning I took the subway to Long Island City so I could have breakfast with my friends, Dan and Lisa, at their apartment.
Dan cooked a delicious meal for us, and we all enjoyed it while watching last night's episode of Saturday Night Live.

While I was waiting for my train back to the circus I got to see hundreds of people running the NY Marathon, the route of which was taking the joggers right underneath the subway station.
I felt bad for everyone taking place in the marathon as there was a strong wind blowing that was cold and brutal.

At all three shows today I saw kids and adults dressed in costumes for Halloween....or maybe that's just how they do things in Queens.
While Ryan and I were waiting to go on for the first vacuum gag, a little boy dressed as Darth Vader came over to say hello and take a picture with us.
I shook his hand and said, "Ah, Lord Vader, you'll be pleased to know that construction of the Death Star is on schedule."
It went right over his head, but at least Ryan and I enjoyed it.

Speaking of jokes that only Ryan and I enjoyed, just a few minutes later in the vacuum gag, Jan, the ringmaster, told us to get to work. The Spanish verb "to work" is trabajar, and Jan issued the order while rolling the last "R" sound.
Without missing a beat, Ryan and I both saluted him and at the same time yelled out, "Yes sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
We then both cracked up that our minds both went for the same joke without even having to stop and think about it.

The first show had a pretty typical Sunday afternoon crowd, meaning the people weren't very lively.
While Ryan and I were taking pictures after the show a woman came up with her son and said, "You have no idea how happy you made this little boy."
It just goes to show, you never know!

In the vacuum gag Ryan and I do a joke where we misinterpret the ringmaster's Spanish to mean something else. In this case we misunderstand the word pista, which means ring, to be pizza.
After the ringmaster corrects us, I always turn to the closest section of audience and yell out, "This guy's talking Chinese! I don't know what he wants!"
In the second show I turned to say my joke, and about halfway through the line I realized that I was talking to a large group of Asians.
Ryan busted a gut laughing at me, I took my foot out of my mouth, and we continued with the gag.

Emma gave the third show motivational speech today. She made paper army hats for all of us in attendance, and then she had us march and repeat the speech after her in the form of a military cadence.

I was happy that today was a fairly pain free Sunday. Aside from the strong, cold wind making backstage a little chilly, it was an easy three show day.

No comments: