Saturday, November 22, 2014

Thursday, November 20 & Friday, November 21: Queens, NY


Hey everyone.
It just occurred to me that I wrote about Ryan and Tatiana's surprise baby shower, but I never made any kind of announcement about their great news on the blog preceding that.
Ryan and Tatiana will be having a baby girl. She is due either at the end of January or the beginning of February.
I think Steve is an excellent name for Nico's little sister!


11/20/14- 7:30 p.m.

This afternoon Ryan and I went to Astoria to have lunch with Mark Gindick, a former Ringling and Big Apple clown who is currently working on his one man show, "Wing-Man".
We ate at a great diner, and then we went back to look at a prop that Mark wants rebuilt for his show. We took a lot of notes, measurements, and photos so that Ryan can build the apparatus for Mark this winter.

I was ecstatic to discover that our trailers once again had running water this afternoon!
The first thing I did was fill up my trailer's water tank for the next time the hoses inevitably freeze.

Yesterday during Ryan and Tatiana's baby shower I was told some bad news. Helen told me that due to a family matter, she would be leaving the show, and since we only have a little over two weeks of the tour remaining, she will not be returning.

It just so happens that Amanda, one of the dancers from Vazquez's west coast unit, was here visiting Emma, so she will take Helen's place until the end of the season.

Last night was Helen's last performance, and she took off for the airport this afternoon around 5:30 p.m.
I was very sad to see such a great friend leave, but I was comforted by the fact that in the circus we use the phrase, "See you down the road", instead of "goodbye".
I can't wait until the next time Helen and I can go on adventures to find sushi and used books.




11/21/14- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

I was upset to hear more bad news first thing this morning. Georgie was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.
Luckily she is going to be ok as she is receiving the care she needs, but they expect her to be in the hospital for at least a week for recovery.

It was a real chore to get through the 6:00 p.m. performance tonight. There weren't a lot of people in the tent, and they were cold, so it was like pulling teeth to get a reaction out of them.
Wednesday and Thursday's crowds were no fun either, but I can't really blame them. It was so cold that the tent's heaters couldn't keep up.

Luckily there were a lot more people at the second show, and they were a much livelier crowd.
My friends, Cricket and Evelyn, were in the audience; I'm really glad they didn't decide to come to the first show!
I worked on Ringling with Cricket for almost two years; in fact, Cricket came in to replace Ryan when he left.
Evelyn is a burlesque dancer who lives in Charleston, SC; we met a few years ago through our mutual friend, Cricket.

After saying goodbye to my friends I headed into Manhattan to have dinner and a drink with Yael at an English pub.
Both of us were pretty beat after interminable, frustrating days at work, so we didn't stay out nearly as long as we did last Friday.

No comments: