Friday, November 14, 2014

Wednesday, November 12 & Thursday, November 13: Queens, NY


11/12/14- 7:30 p.m.

Today Eggroll and I met for lunch in Times Square at Junior's. We split a combo meal that came with two small sandwiches, and I also got a piece of their famous cheesecake, which was humongous. (Later, when I told Helen about it, she agreed and compared a slice of their cake to a door wedge, which I thought was a funny analogy.)

Eggy went to see a matinee performance of "On The Town", while I caught the 2:00 p.m. performance of "Side Show".
What a great show! So far it ranks with Pippin and Cabaret as one of my favorite Broadway shows I've seen since we've been in town.
I was familiar with some of the music from the original production back in the late 90s, but the storyline was not familiar to me.
Side Show is definitely the first musical I've seen recently that touched me; I teared up a couple of times during the final scenes.

I was sad to see that our audience for the show tonight was back to what I usually expect for a weeknight.


11/13/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning Helen and I went to Lincoln Center to see the Big Apple Circus's show, "Metamorphosis".
I saw the show a few weeks ago, but Helen didn't come with the group from Vazquez and really wanted to go.
I wanted to see the show one more time anyway, so I was happy to go with her to her first Big Apple Circus.

I enjoyed the show even more the second time, and Helen absolutely loved it. We had excellent seats thanks to Smiley, the head usher, who moved us to the second row in the center right when the performance was about to start.

During Intermission I visited with Jimmy Tinsman, who works in the Big Apple road office. He was kind enough to give me and Helen some popcorn and bottles of water for the second half of the show.

I'd really like to thank everyone at Big Apple Circus for their amazing hospitality.

After the show we went backstage where Smiley and Eggroll gave us a tour. We were also able to snap some fun pictures while we were there:




Tato and Steve, the most "a-dork-able" performers of our respective shows....according to Eggroll, anyway.


After having our fun backstage, Helen, Eggroll, Tato, and I went to the Olympic Flame Diner to talk and have lunch.

I had planned to go to a drag queen show with the dancers after work tonight, but I found out a few days ago that several of us performers had an early morning television publicity tomorrow.
I decided to pass on the drag show because I knew I'd be hating life at the PR if I only got a couple of hours of sleep.

I did; however, stop by a birthday party (yes, another one) in the tent. This one was held for four members of the Pompeyo family, who lumped their birthdays together into one party (each birthday is only one day apart).
Their was a pajama theme to the party, so I put on my red plaid PJ pants, my Steve & Ryan bathrobe, and my sweet zombie slippers before heading over to visit and have a drink.

There were some funny bedtime ensembles at the party, but Ryan's took the cake:

He decided to keep his make up on for the PR in the morning.

No comments: