Sunday, November 30, 2014

Wednesday, November 26 & Thursday, November 27: Queens, NY-


11/26/14- 7:30 p.m.

The weather today was rather yucky. There was a wintry mix of rain and a little bit of snow, but not enough to really stick to the ground.

I did encounter a bit of ice on the bridge into Flushing, but aside from that I was bundled up and had my umbrella with me, so the weather didn't bother me that much.

Dominik and Claudie, the couple who perform the foot juggling act in the show, had a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese this afternoon for their daughter, Angelina.
I stopped by to say hello and visit with everyone for a bit before going grocery shopping.

I was extremely happy to see Helen again today!
Georgie is recovering well from her pneumonia, but she will not be returning to perform in the show,  so the Vazquez brothers asked Helen to please return to finish the tour.
Since she was able to get everything sorted out at home, and her family insisted she do so, Helen returned on Tuesday night to our circus family.
I am so happy that I get to spend more time with her before the end of the season!

We had a very responsive audience for the show tonight, which surprised me since a) it was a weeknight, and 2) the weather outside was miserable.
I was happy that we had friends in the crowd as well: Dan Berkley and Lisa Soverino came with two of their friends, and Scott O'Donnell and "Heavy" were in town all the way from Baraboo, WI.
Scott is the executive director of the Circus World Museum, and he was in town to bring a circus wagon for Big Apple to use in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Unfortunately Scott told us that the horses used to pull the wagon were not going to be able to make it to the parade due to an Interstate closure, but I was happy that he and "Heavy" were able to come see the show.

Scott, Dan, and two other guys

Our ringmaster, Memo, made me laugh at the beginning of the water gag. He was impressed that I had the connections to go backstage at "The Elephant Man" last night, so when he introduced us to the audience, he said, "From Broadway, Steve & Ryan!"

After the show I joined our friends for dinner at a Mexican restaurant down the street that was conveniently open 24 hours.
Scott, Dan, Lisa, and I all worked together on Ringling in 2006, so it was fun reliving that year by sharing our memories and tall tales.


11/27/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I headed over to Manhattan to meet the dancers and some of the Espana family for a Thanksgiving meal at P.J. Clarke's, a restaurant right next to Lincoln Center.
For $30 we each got a plate full of the Thanksgiving standards: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and a slice of pumpkin pie for dessert.

All of my lunch companions had gotten up extremely early to stand in the freezing cold and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Even though it would have been nice to see it live, I did not regret not having to brave the cold for several hours, especially since I could feel myself becoming sick....for about the third time since we've been in New York City!

I was thankful to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving away from home, and to share it with great company.


Back at the lot I took a nap so my body could rest and fight off my oncoming illness.

I had a rough show tonight. My throat was bugging me, so I really tried to keep my yells and girly screams to a minimum. 
On top of that I strained some tendons in my left shoulder last night, so moving my arm certain ways caused me to wince from the pain. (Despite all the crazy falls we do in the show, I hurt myself by pointing sharply at someone in the audience)
As if that wasn't enough, the crowd was not into the show. For coming to a show on Thanksgiving evening, they didn't seem to be very thankful to be at a circus!

Glen Heroy and his wife, Barbara, came to the performance this evening, so Ryan and I had a good time visiting with them afterwards.
Glen was a clown in the Big Apple Circus production, "Play On", a few years ago, and he was also featured on the PBS reality show, "Circus".

No comments: