Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sunday, November 30 & Monday, December 01: Queens, NY


11/30/14- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I went to Panera Bread for breakfast. My meal was free thanks to a gift card that my friend, Alex Zaprudsky, got me for my birthday.
I haven't visited a Panera in over ten weeks, so I was going through some serious withdrawals. Thanks for the fix, Alex!

I was feeling sick and tired for the shows today (I was also sick of feeling sick and tired).
Claire helped me out by whipping up a cup of her witch's brew (hot water with lemon, ginger root, honey..... and eye of newt), which was waiting for me in the dressing room before the first show.
Thank you, Claire, for taking pity on the feeble, sick clown.

Unfortunately my lack of energy and abundance of congestion made today seem to go on forever.

After the first water gag I returned to the men's dressing room ranting and raving to Ryan about the local ushers.
No matter how many times Eddie, our production manager, talks to them, they still always walk people to their seats while we are making our entrance and exit for the act.
Today was especially bad because when I was exiting through the stands, I was stopped by a huge group of latecomers who were being shown to their seats.
I just turned around and shrugged to the audience when I usually take my style.

Anyway, in the dressing room I was venting my frustration, and my colorful language caused Visan to look up from his phone and see what all the ruckus was about.
Visan burst into laughter, because he said that what he was hearing, a string of invectives, didn't mesh with what he was seeing, a little clown with a smile painted on.
I'm glad my unbridled fury inspires laughter in others. Perhaps I should look into Sam Kinnison style stand up comedy.

The dancers did a fantastic rap/inspirational speech before the third show. Each dancer wrote a stanza, and even Georgie contributed via an iPhone video.


Georgie, by the way, is still recuperating from her pneumonia. She is out of the hospital and staying with friends in their swank Times Square apartment. Just what the doctor ordered!

Twenty five members of the Royal Hanneford Circus came to see our final show of the evening. Their ringmaster, Billy Martin, organized the field trip, and the cast had already experienced quite an eventful day.
They saw a performance of the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show, followed by a performance of Big Apple, and then our show. Obviously they saved the best for last! :o)
It was great to visit with our circus friends after the show.

After bidding adieu to the Royal Hanneford crew, Ryan and I ran through our song and dance number several times.
We were severely winded after each run through, and that was just with singing and dancing. I'm not looking forward to adding in the trumpet playing!


12/1/14- 7:30 p.m.

This morning Ryan and I headed into Manhattan to once again visit the Garment District.
Ryan thought of a few more fabrics we needed to make our new agent suits for next year, and luckily we were able to find everything we needed without too much hassle.

While we were in the area we met up with Ryan's brother, Pete, who is visiting for a few days, and we also met up with our friend, Steve Curtis, for lunch at our favorite Jewish deli, Ben's.
Steve is a Clown College graduate, and we worked with him on Ringling when he was Prop Boss in 2004-2005.
Steve is currently working on the Broadway magic show, "The Illusionists", so it was great to hear about that tour, as well as his previous gig, Marvel Universe Live.

Before heading back to the lot Pete picked up a gift for Tatiana; he got her a giant cannoli cupcake from Crumbs Bake Shop.

Pete knows the way to a pregnant woman's heart!

This afternoon my friend, Jessi Hoffschildt, arrived for her weeklong visit. Jessi is a former Ringling/Culpepper/Circus World Museum clown who is currently working on Circus Kinoshita in Japan.
She has a week off while they change locations, so she decided to come to New York City. It was great to see her again, as the last time was four years ago.

Ryan and I had a lot of friends in the crowd tonight. In addition to Steve and Jessi, Don Horowitz, part owner of the Al Ringling Mansion in Baraboo, WI, was also watching the show.
I was glad there were a few friendly faces in the audience, because the rest of the folks were none too welcoming with their responses.

At the end of the carpenter gag Ryan fell into the workbench and twisted his ankle. 
The reason that happened? A soccer ball belonging to one of the teenagers on the show was inexplicably in the box, and when Ryan fell in, his foot landed on it, causing the sprain.
It could have been a lot worse, but needless to say, Ryan was none too pleased about the situation.

In celebration of the Christmas season, Don brought two big wreaths for me and Ryan. The wreaths came complete with red ornaments symbolizing clown noses, and a big, red bows standing in for bow ties.

Don, Jessi, and I went to the Mexican restaurant not far from the lot after the show. 
It was so nice to visit with so many friends today.

On a different note, today marked the beginning of the end. The 2014 Circo Hermanos Vazquez East Coast season ends in one week!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, once this year is over, back to hustling old ladies out of their Bingo money?? :)

Steve Copeland said...

Christmas tour, and then old ladies.
I don't even care if they have bingo money.
I just want some action!

Steve

Matthew said...

Hey Steve-
My dad, sister, and I will be coming to the 9PM show tomorrow, Saturday the 6th. See you then!
Matthew Lish

Steve Copeland said...

Matthew,

See you there!

Steve