Sunday, March 29, 2015

Wednesday, March 25 & Thursday, March 26: Arlington TX


3/25/15- Day Off!

This morning Nestor started parking all of the trailers. Ryan and I were parked around lunchtime, and as soon as I was able to get my truck unhooked and my house set up, I cleaned up and drove into town to run errands.
I also was able to fit in a visit to a Panera Bread and Half Price Books before I had to head back to the lot.

In the afternoon Ryan and I drove to Springtown, TX to see the Culpepper Merriweather Circus. We were excited to see our friends on the show, especially Natalie and her daughters, Georgia and Genevieve (aka Tootie), who we worked with on Kelly Miller, and Leo, who was a clown with us on Ringling.

We watched the 5:00 p.m. performance with our friend, Kelly, who was also in Clown Alley with me, Ryan and Leo.
Culpepper has such a fun, high energy show this year. I haven't seen the circus since 2003 when my friend, "Tiny", was the clown, and I was really impressed with what I saw.











These guys were insane! When the one guy was walking on top of the wheel, he had to duck to avoid hitting his head on the top of the tent!

Between shows we visited with Natalie, Tootie, and Leo. There is never enough time to spend with friends when you are visiting another circus; we planned to stick around a bit during the second performance, but we decided against it since we knew everyone would be busy loading out and getting ready to move off the lot in anticipation of the rain storm on its way.


Kelly's selfie stick doesn't like Ryan, apparently.

Thank you to everyone at Culpepper Merriweather for a fun evening at the circus!

After the show Ryan, Kelly, and I went to a Japanese steakhouse and sushi bar to have dinner and catch up some more before we headed our separate ways.


3/26/15- Day Off!

This afternoon Ryan and I went to a Chinese restaurant in town that serves dim sum. Ryan and his family visited the restaurant many times the last time we were in town, and he's been waiting ever since then to return.

After stuffing our faces, we set out to run errands. First we found a tire shop so I could replace the tire I blew on the jump to Arlington. Ryan also had to purchase a new trailer tire, because when he was being parked on the lot, he ran through a bolt that punched a big hole in the rubber. (Pompeyo also lost two truck tires to the detritus on our lot)

Next we went to a Lowe's to price prop building supplies for new gags. After that mind numbing chore was done, we treated ourselves to something we'd both enjoy: DVD shopping at a Movie Trading Company.

In the evening Ryan and I drove to Frisco, TX to see the Shrine Circus at the Dr. Pepper Arena. Again we watched the show with our friend, Kelly, plus our friend, Crystal, who is a vet in the area.

We met up with our friend, Larry, who is the clown on the show. He was nice enough to get us tickets, and we were able to visit with him for a bit during the Pre Show before he had to make up.


We were surprised at how many friends we saw at the Shrine Circus, both working and visiting. Our friend, Henry, who we clowned with on Ringling, is living in the area and was selling concessions, and July, who we know from Hugo, was one of the showgirls.


Former Ringling clowns, Julio and Rodger, came to the show with their out of town Alley mates, Joy and Rudy. All of them worked together on the Red Unit a few years ago, and Joy and Rudy flew in for a mini reunion with their friends.
They unfortunately got stuck in traffic and missed most of the first half, and they had to leave at the start of the second half, so my time seeing them was very brief.

After the show Crystal, Larry, Ryan and I went to a great sushi restaurant to visit. Crystal was even nice enough to pick up the tab for us all. What a gal!

No comments: