Saturday, March 28, 2015

Tuesday, March 24: Arlington, TX- Travel Day


I crashed hard last night, so I woke up feeling mighty refreshed. We had stopped at a Walmart parking lot in San Antonio, so we only had 260 miles left on our 419 mile jump to Arlington.

Everything was going fine on the drive until we got outside Temple, TX. We were driving through a construction zone when I heard a loud bang from behind me. I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw bits of tire flying up from under my trailer, so I quickly looked for a place to pull over.

As luck would have it, there was a nice, isolated area on the side of the road, thanks to the construction, that gave me plenty of room to pull in and get far away from the traffic.

I examined my trailer and saw that the front driver side tire had completely exploded, so I called Good Sam to send a mechanic.
There was a wall beside my trailer with a ledge running along side of it. The whole area was shaded thanks to the wall, so I had a perfect, comfortable space to sit and read until the mechanic arrived.

The mechanic didn't take long at all to find me. His crew members were all busy helping other people, so he came in his private car with his wife.
He didn't even need a jack to put on my new tire. He simply had me back up onto some blocks to elevate the blown out tire, which he easily removed.
He then deflated my new tire and attached it before re-inflating it. I was surprised that the mechanic even had an air compressor installed in his little car; it was a very nifty set up.

When the mechanic finished, I thanked him and his wife for their help, and then I began the final 150 mile stretch to Arlington.

I arrived at the Six Flags Mall in the early evening, before the sun had set.
I was excited when I first heard we were going to be at a mall for this engagement, but I was much less excited when I walked around inside.
I've been in dying malls before, but this was like a mall that had died, re-animated, and was then shot in the head and run over a few times. It was pretty sad.

No comments: