Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Sunday, March 29 & Monday, March 30: Arlington, TX


3/29/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I went to La Madeleine, a French cafe, for breakfast. Our friend, Mark Renfro, introduced us to the restaurant while we were in town last year, and I've been looking forward to eating there again for awhile now.
Before heading back to the circus to begin the three show day, I visited a Half Price Books as well.

It was a beautiful day; I enjoyed the sun and warm weather whenever I wasn't inside the tent.
The circus did great business today, especially for the last two shows.

Manny Casalino, a former Cole Bros. clown who performs with his family in the DFW area, came to watch our second performance.
He brought keychains for me and Ryan that look like little clown shoes. When Ryan saw his gift, he said, "Oh good! Now I can kick little people's butts!"



Jose Alberto Vazquez gave today's motivational speech before the third show. He was really worried about giving his first speech, but he did a great job.
He started off by telling everyone that he didn't want to be known as the guy who gave the worst motivational speech ever, so he said that he was going to give everyone a $100 bill just for listening. He then pulled a wad of hundreds out of his pocket to show to us.
Later on, he could tell from our laughs and cheers that we were enjoying the speech, so he concluded by saying, "Since you enjoyed my speech so much, I guess I don't need to give everyone the money."
Well played, sir!


3/30/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I went to a really ghetto laundromat. When I was loading my clothes into the washers, I noticed a thin, completely soaked, rubber glove on the edge of one of the machines.
That was disgusting enough, but I about burst a blood vessel in my brain when I discovered that someone had put it in with my whites during the washing cycle.


Our friend, Rob Lok, grew up in Arlington, and his parents still live here. Last year when we were visiting with Rob in NY, we asked if he had any old props or wardrobe he was looking to unload.
He told us that when we got to Arlington we were welcome to have his Clown College and Ringling agent suits, which we were very excited about.

In the early afternoon we visited Mr. and Mrs. Lok and picked up Rob's two costumes, as well as a short, beginner pair of peg stilts for Nico.
Thank you, Rob!

The Loks pointed us in the direction of an Asian shopping center where I joined Ryan and his family for lunch at a Chinese BBQ restaurant.
We then went next door to an Asian supermarket. An Asian woman wearing one of the conical paddy hats was standing outside with her groceries.
Nico pointed and yelled at the top of his lungs (as only a four year old can), "Look! Just like a Chinese guy!"

The Vazquez band began working on our new music today. I enjoyed listening to them practice, and I can't wait to use the music in the show.

Many of our friends from the Shrine Circus came to watch our show tonight. We had a small crowd, so I was happy that our friends were such a supportive audience.

After work we visited with everyone in Ryan's house, and then Ryan, his family, and I joined our clown friends, Larry, Henry, and Orlando for dinner.

No comments: