Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Saturday, May 2 & Sunday, May 3: Phoenix, AZ

5/2/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning I joined Viśan, Laura, Jose Alberto, Jo, and Emma for brunch at O.H.S.O. Eatery + nanoBrewery.
Everything on the brunch menu was $10, and our meals included a craft beer or mimosa. Now that's what I call a deal!

We all sat outside in the patio area, which was pet friendly. They make dog biscuits that customers can give to their canine companions, and they also provide dog bowls full of water.
That's what I drank my water out of.

After eating, I dropped Emma off at the circus, and then I went back to the Verizon store yet again. Between shows last night my phone began saying once again that there was no Sim card installed.
I tried the resetting trick the Verizon employee showed me yesterday, but it took several tries before my service would return.
Then again, on the way to brunch this morning I got the Invalid Sim message, so I decided I needed to get everything sorted out before our shows tonight.

Luckily this trip to Verizon was much faster than the ones yesterday. I was able to talk to the same employee who helped me yesterday, so I didn't have to waste time giving him the full backstory.
He simply placed a new Sim card in my phone, and I was good to go. Fingers crossed.....

The temperature today didn't reach 100, but it was still very hot in the tent, particularly for the 6:00 p.m. performance.

Not many people came to the shows tonight. I think folks were more interested in watching the big fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather.
Even the circus was able to enjoy the match in the backyard (enjoy might be too strong a word since everyone was pretty disappointed with the bout). Performers and crew would run over to watch between numbers.

The second performance was so painful. The people in the audience were just not into the show at all.
What made it worse was that our clown friend, Lance, was watching, along with Ryan's in-laws. Nothing like having friends and family watch you suffer and die in the ring!

5/3/15- 5:00 and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I joined Lance for a service at the Pentecostal church he attends. I had never been to a Pentecostal church before, so it was neat to see how passionate everyone was, especially the preacher.
Everyone I met was very nice and welcoming as well.

After church Lance treated me and a couple of his friends to breakfast, so overall I had a great start to my day.

Once again we only had two shows on Sunday, which was wonderful. I believe we are not doing the 2:00 p.m. performances here because of the heat in the tent.
More people were at the shows today, so it seems like only two shows was the way to go.

Ryan was complaining about being worn out and out of it today. I didn't realize how much so until we did the second vacuum gag.
When I picked up the vacuum's nozzle I realized that it was much lighter than usual. I quickly looked inside and saw that the sucked out face mask was not inside! We didn't have a way to end the gag!

I quickly explained to Ryan what happened, so after his pants got ripped off, he chased me out of the ring.
Luckily Marcos picked up on the fact that something was wrong, so he gave us our announcement as we ran backstage.
We're fortunate that everything was ready to go for Duo Exxtrem's act, which follows us.

Backstage I tried to figure out what had happened, and Ryan told me that he simply forgot to set the face.


Yanko Artidiello said...

Hey there Steve! I'm sorry to hear about the bad weekend. Just wanted to reach out and say a warm "hello" to a fellow clown. I remember seeing you in the Kelly Miller circus. You guys shined like stars in that show.

I'm actually from a circus family myself, just been out of the game for a while hanging out with my 4 month old mini-me. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying working with Vazquez. I toured with them for a while a few years back.

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you for the warm greeting.

The best thing about that bad weekend is that it is over, and we get another chance this weekend.

I am enjoying working for Vazquez; when were you with the show?
I only saw it once in 2010.


Yanko Artidiello said...

In 2008 I ran sound for them from the Rio Grand Valley, Texas to Huntington Park, California. It was just for a short while as they tried working out the work-visas for their other sound guy. I couldn't do the whole tour since I was still working on my Bachelors.

After I graduated, I clowned a short while with a small show called "The Family Fun Circus" and also for "George Carden International." I'm missing the full-time clowning, and am looking to get back in the game now that my son is getting old enough to travel with me and his mom.

I actually found your blog after signing up at clown-forum.com :D

Steve Copeland said...

Very cool!

Well, please keep reading. I'll do my best to keep it entertaining.