Thursday, May 14, 2015

Sunday, May 10 & Monday, May 11: Mesa, AZ

5/10/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning the show's generator kept dying. It even shut off about twenty minutes before the first performance.
Showtime came and went, and the power was still completely out. About fifteen minutes past 2:00, Eddie came and asked me and Ryan to go entertain the crowd while they tried to get the generator back online.

Ryan and I grabbed a folding chair and some juggling clubs and headed into the dark tent to entertain the impatient audience.

We took our time and milked everything we were doing, because we had no idea how long the show would need us to stall.

We weren't in the ring for too terribly long before Eddie came and told us that we could stop; the generator could not be quickly fixed.
Marcos, our ringmaster, announced to the crowd that the 2:00 p.m. show was canceled, and I assume that refunds or exchanges for another show were offered to the people that did show up.

Finally around 3:00 p.m. the generator came on and stayed on. Everyone held their breath when twenty minutes before the second performance the generator shut off once again.
Luckily a few minutes later it kicked on, and there were no further problems with power interruption.

Local clown and theatre instructor, Brian Foley, came to watch the 5:00 p.m. show with his daughter. Also in the crowd were our clown friends, Stephen and Sarah Smith, who brought along a couple of their acquaintances as well.

I was absolutely worn out for that performance. I still felt like it was our second show of the day, even though the 2:00 p.m. one was canceled.
I suppose I should have taken a nap during our impromptu afternoon break.

Claudie motivated us all with her pre-third show speech, and I added to everyone's energy by sharing a big tray of fresh, out of the oven cookies brought to the cast by my friends, The Taylor family.

After the show I introduced the performers in the ring to the Taylors, since they were immensely popular thanks to their generous and delicious gift.
Elia Taylor even had another gift for me, a tray of macaroni and cheese that she made by following my Nana's recipe. Delicious!

After visiting with the Taylors outside the tent I met up with Stephen and Sarah Smith. They took me to the Mill Avenue area of Tempe where we had dinner and chatted at a Greek restaurant.

5/11/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today I spent the majority of my day preparing everything for load out and travel. I did take a break to join Ryan and his family for lunch at a torta restaurant though.

We had a fantastic audience for our final show in Mesa; they were big and enthusiastic.
The one down point for me was in the vacuum gag. When I was having a guy throw my wig on my head, I was standing near a toddler that was not happy about my proximity to her.
To make matters much worse, the guy throwing my wig wasn't even trying, so his first toss sent the wig directly onto the wary infant, who then went into a full blown terror tantrum.

Last night I had a similar scenario because the only two men in the audience who were even remotely bald (we need a bald man in the crowd for one of our bits) had screaming children in their laps. It was not a pretty or fun situation....

It only took about an hour and a half after our show ended before I was able to leave the lot. I drove about three miles away to Spectrac Parts & Services. They were going to do some work on my trailer first thing in the morning, so I parked right outside their gate for the evening.

No comments: