Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sunday, May 24 & Monday, May 25: El Paso, TX


5/24/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I had breakfast at Hillside Coffee & Donut, a very trendy little restaurant that Alexa recommended I try.

A chorizo and egg sandwich and a turtle cheesecake donut. All part of a balanced breakfast.

Today was a very easy day for me, energy wise. I was worried because I have been feeling so worn out the past couple of nights, but these three shows were a piece of cake.
Ryan, on the other hand, was really feeling it today, and his exhaustion led to some wacky gags.

Mira, from Duo Exxtrem, gave a very touching motivational speech before the third show. Mira is from Hungary, and she is always so quiet and shy, so hearing her express herself so eloquently in English made the message even more poignant.

After work there was a farewell party for our ringmaster, Marcos Valdes, who will be leaving the show once we finish our run in El Paso.


5/25/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I walked across the street from the lot to visit the El Paso Zoo. It wasn't necessarily a great zoo, but I spent a pleasant two hours walking around and seeing the animals.

 Prairie dogs are so cute! Maybe that should be my next oddball pet.
Are you a hornbill, or are you just happy to see me?

But what really made the zoo visit for me was seeing these majestic creatures:

The ducks!

Back at the lot Tatiana fixed my trailer light cable for me. It's been giving me trouble for a year and a half (sometimes my turn signals work, and sometimes they don't), and I FINALLY got around to buying a new plug and asking Tatiana to spare me any accidental electrocutions and fix it herself.

This evening I paid for my cockiness about my energy for the three shows yesterday; I was so tired for our final performance in El Paso.
The lack of people that showed up for the last minute added performance didn't help matters either.

As I was running back and forth from backstage to my trailer in the second half, I noticed a large family, dressed to the nines, walking over to the box office to buy tickets.....roughly twenty minutes before the show ended!
I know we performers like to joke about how the audiences for this show arrive late, but that's just ridiculous!

I was able to move my trailer not too long after the performance. In this city I didn't have anyone blocking me in, and I had the added impetus of having no electricity. All the trailers were unplugged while Ryan and I were still loading up our props.
Normally I wouldn't have minded, but I was right in the middle of cooking dinner in my convection oven.
I pulled out my generator so I could finish cooking, but it kept shutting off.

Mmmmmmm! Undercooked food!

Ryan's trailer was parked in a tighter spot than mine, so it took awhile longer for him to get out. We finally began our 868 mile jump to Salt Lake City, UT around 11:00 p.m.

We drove about 125 miles to a Walmart in Truth or Consequences, NM, where we planned to spend the night.
Once we arrived we discovered that the store's parking lot was under construction, and there was no room for us to park our trailers.

I was beyond tired by that point, but we pressed on and drove another 75 miles to the next Walmart. 
Although I wasn't a fan of getting to sleep around 4:00 a.m., it was nice to get a good chunk of the drive out of the way when there was next to nobody on the road.

2 comments:

Jack said...

To bad you weren't cooking fish or else it would have been your your alley. We all know how much you like sushi.

Steve Copeland said...

That's a good point!

Steve