Monday, May 18, 2015

Thursday, May 14 & Friday, May 15: Tucson, AZ


5/14/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I was able to kill two birds with one stone while running errands. I was able to do my laundry and get a haircut at the same shopping plaza. Hooray for productivity!

This afternoon I shared the movie "Gremlins 2" with Nico. I can't express how happy it made me to introduce him to the film and the characters that I loved so much as a child.
My ulterior motive was to get Nico excited about the idea of doing a team costume with me at Halloween where he would dress up as Gizmo, the cute and lovable Mogwai.

Our opening night show in Tucson was packed, and the audience was fantastic!
Hopefully it is a sign of things to come for the rest of our run here.

Chris Green, former Circus Vargas clown, came to the show with his girlfriend, and Ryan and I were also pleasantly surprised to see Ross and Elisa Hartzell after the performance.
Ryan and I worked with Ross and Elisa in the Philippines in 2010, where they performed their crossbow act.
We had no idea they lived in Tucson, so it was a nice surprise to see them; especially since it has been five years.


5/15/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Today was a lazy day at home; sorry I don't have anything more exciting to report.

We had good crowds for the two shows.

In the second juggling act, Jose Alberto was having trouble doing his last trick, where he throws all three cigar boxes in the air, does a pirouette, and catches them all.
He finally took the microphone from Marcos and announced to the crowd that he was sorry, but he couldn't perform his final trick.
He then went to exit the ring, with his head hung down. Jose Alberto then began to softly chant into the microphone, "Si, se puede" (Yes, he can), which caused the whole crowd to start shouting it.
He then successfully completed the trick to thunderous cheers and applause.

Ryan and I were next with the vacuum gag, and as luck would have it, when I have a guy in the audience throw my wig on my head, I missed catching it.
I apologized to the audience, and then I got into the ring and started to exit.
Ryan and Marcos picked up on the joke, and they began to chant, "Si, se puede!", which got the crowd going.
I ran back to the guy, gave him my wig, he threw it, and I caught it to thunderous cheers and applause.

I was so proud that we had the opportunity to pull off such a fun, relevant, impromptu moment. That's what keeps the shows fresh for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet doing your laundry and taking a shower keeps the show fresh also.

Steve Copeland said...

Mostly for the benefit of the audience and other performers!

Steve

Jack said...

Glad you are taking more showers than once a month. Any new updates that you promised us the fans from a few months back?

Steve Copeland said...

Jack,

Everything is on hold right now. Trust me, I'm as anxious as you to see if it is going to happen next year!

Steve

Tejano said...

Ok, time to speculate...
You are
starring on DWTS
starring on The Bachelor
starring on Survivor
starring on a reality show about clowns
going on a walkabout
joining casey cainan in UE
and finally
taking over Lettermen's show as colbert will be backing out.

:)

Steve Copeland said...

Colbert is backing out?

Steve