Saturday, May 16, 2015

Tuesday, May 12 & Wednesday, May 13: Tucson, AZ


5/12/15- Travel Day to Tucson, AZ

I woke up this morning at 6:00 a.m., and when Spectrac opened a half hour later, they took my trailer right in and began working on it.

The main reason I took my trailer in for repairs was because Martin guessed the reason I had been popping so many tires this year was because maybe my axles were out of alignment.
Sure enough, they were, and one of my tires was already getting rubbed bald because of it.

While the mechanics were checking the axles, they noticed that a couple of springs were completely worn down, and they suggested I get those taken care of in the near future.
I explained to them that this was the best opportunity to fix them since I didn't have far to go to get to Tucson, and my trailer was already there in the shop.
In fact, I asked them to repair my trailer brakes as well, since all of the wiring was either cut or disconnected, and one of the brakes was completely broken apart.

I was told it would be an all day job, but since they closed at 4:00 p.m., I told them that would still give me plenty of time to get to Tucson before it was too late.
I unhooked my truck, and I was able to go out and enjoy my day in the Mesa and Tempe areas instead of sitting in the waiting room for hours on end.

I ran errands and then I went to Riverview Park to walk around, watch the ducks, and make a few phone calls to friends.

I also checked out the Tempe Marketplace where I had a delicious lunch at Kabuki Sushi.
I was just about to do some reading in a Barnes and Noble when I got a call from Spectrac. They had finished all of the work by 1:00 p.m., which was pretty amazing.

I went and picked up my trailer, and I was on the road to Tucson by 1:30 p.m.
The 114 mile drive was a piece of cake, and before I knew it I was at the Rodeo Grounds where we will be performing for the weekend.

In the evening I was able to get parked, and I went to bed much earlier than usual. I was worn out from getting up at 6:00 a.m. and having a full day.


5/13/15- Day Off!

This morning my brother, Trent, who lives here in Tucson, came to pick me up.
He took me downtown to the Hotel Congress, where the infamous gangster John Dillinger was captured in 1934.
We had a delicious breakfast in the Cup Cafe, the restaurant in the lobby of the hotel.

Once I got back to the lot I joined Ryan, his family, and Julius Espana on a trip to the Tucson Children's Museum.
Walking up to the front entrance I told Ryan that the place seemed very familiar to me, and after asking a few questions at the front desk, I realized that I had done a publicity at the Museum eleven years ago when I was with Ringling.

We all had a lot of fun at the Children's Museum. I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough activities for adults, or that the staff would frown upon anyone other than kids playing with the equipment, but everything was really laid back, and I enjoyed myself.

After having lunch with the group I broke off on my own to explore downtown Tucson further. I found a shop that sells foam and fabric (it's a shame that they are so far from where we spend our winters), and I also checked out a couple of used book stores.

At 6:00 p.m. I met Chris Green for dinner at Magpie's Pizza, which had amazing food. Chris was in Clown College the year I was born, and he spent a couple of years clowning for Circus Vargas and Big John Strong's show.
We had a great time swapping circus stories and getting to know each other.

I was upset that we only get one day off in Tucson, but I definitely made the most of it!

No comments: