Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Friday, June 12-Sunday, June 14: Denver, CO


6/12/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m,

This afternoon Ryan and I spent a lot of time cleaning off our props. During the two weeks in Salt Lake City they became covered in a thick layer of dust, so we scrubbed them down with soap and water to ensure they were looking their best again.


We didn't have the big opening night crowds that I was hoping for tonight; hopefully business will pick up.

Memo Vazquez was visiting from the East Unit, and after the shows he recorded the announcements for the beginning of our vacuum gag.
Since Marcos left we have been doing the vacuum gag intro without any ringmaster interaction, but Memo missed those jokes and decided to help out.
Now Luis will play the announcements over the Instant Replay, just like he does with our sound effects.


6/13/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Yesterday while we were cleaning the little clown car, and changing the two flat tires we got in Salt Lake City, Ryan noticed that a hose coming from the engine was leaking gasoline.
We showed it to David, who has mechanical knowledge, and he diagnosed the problem.

This morning David and I went to an AutoZone to pick up some new tubing, and back at the lot he replaced the leaking hose in no time at all.

Business was much better for the shows tonight, which made me happy.

It began raining during the performances, and soon parts of the back yard were flooded. We had to put a pallet between the backstage tent and the men's dressing semi so that we wouldn't be ankle deep in water every time we went to do an act.

After the second show I joined the dancers and Alexa on a trip to see the movie, "Jurassic World".
We went in celebration of Sammie's birthday, and we saw the film in style.
I had never seen a theater with reclining seats and foot rests before; there is really no better way to watch a movie!

"Jurassic World" was just a bit too long for me (it may have seemed that way because we were watching a midnight showing), but there were some great action scenes, and I had fun.


6/14/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

There are a few brunch places in Denver that I am dying to try, but I knew I'd have to get up early to eat there to avoid a long wait.
Since I didn't get to bed until almost 3:30 a.m., I decided to sleep in and just have breakfast at Panera Bread.

During one of the shows Ryan and I were playing around with a bald guy in the audience at the beginning of the vacuum gag.
He was being a smart aleck, and he was difficult to work with, but he did make me laugh pretty hard at one point.
When I ripped off my wig to put it on his head, he exclaimed in shock, "Oh s***!".
While laughing, I replied, "I know, right?"

During the three shows Ryan and I tried tweaking some of the bits in the carpenter gag, and so the whole day my performance felt off.
My body is so used to doing the gag a certain way, so changing things up really threw me for a loop.
I guess it is good to not get too comfortable and thereby robotic with the material, but I'm already looking forward to finding our new timing.



No comments: