Monday, June 22, 2015

Friday, June 19-Sunday, June 21: Denver, CO


6/19/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This afternoon I had lunch at Blue Sushi and Sake. Yesterday when Laura, Emma, and I were walking around downtown I spotted the sign outside the restaurant, and I had to pop in to see if it was the same place that I had enjoyed so much in Fort Worth last year.
I was overjoyed to discover that it was the same, and I loved being able to get my favorite roll (eel, cream cheese, and pineapple) when I dined there today.

Before heading back to the circus I had dessert at Little Man Ice Cream, which was a shop decorated like an old fashioned milk tank.


I had salted Oreo ice cream, and it was delicious!

Ryan and I will be building new dog props for the Pompeyo family for next year's Vazquez tour, so today we got together to create a budget sheet for the project.

Back in Phoenix a famous radio DJ visited the show and sent me into a white hot fury with his lack of respect towards us.
Much to my dismay, he came back tonight to perform a special presentation before the beginning of each show's Intermission.

I stayed away from him to keep my stress level and gray hair count down, but we did have a minor interaction with him on stage during the first show.
After his introduction he came out and went from one dancer to the next, kissing them on the cheek. When he got to me, he gave a yell of disgust and waved his hand at me dismissively. 
He then went in the other direction and kissed the rest of the dancers on the cheek. As soon as he got to the end of their line, Ryan spun around to "tie his shoe", and the DJ got a clown butt in his face.
It was hilarious, and the audience got a big kick out of it.

After the first show Ryan and I were talking to a little girl dressed up like the character Elsa from Disney's "Frozen".
Ryan said something along the lines of, "My goodness; I didn't know there was a princess in the audience."
The little girl immediately shot back, "I'm not a princess! I'm a queen!"
Well, I didn't vote for her.

The one upside of the DJ being our special guest tonight was that we did great business. The second audience was fantastic; definitely the most responsive crowd we've had since we opened in Denver.



6/20/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning Kevin Harvey, his son, and his daughter-in-law came to pick me up for a fun day out.
Kevin is a graduate of Ringling's Clown College, and he toured with Circus Gatti and Carson & Barnes during the 1980s.

We went to lunch in downtown Denver, and then they took me to Boulder so we could walk around the Pearl Street Mall, which is an outdoor shopping plaza spanning three or four downtown blocks.
Kevin told me we might be able to catch some street performers, and sure enough we were able to see one man do some fire eating and a straight jacket escape.

Kevin and his family came to see the first show. While the cast was in the curtain area at the end of opening I noticed a huge shaft of light on part of the audience.
I asked why that was happening, and Ryan told me that the cupola at the top of the tent was open to let some of the heat out.

We had another great audience for the second show this evening. There were some people sitting at the very back of the ring that were having a great time. Maybe a little bit too much of a good time......
They were screaming almost the entire performance; sometimes at the strangest times. I wanted to ask them what they were on, and if they had any to spare. 
We are in Colorado after all!



6/21/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning Emma picked me up at the circus, and we went to downtown Denver to have breakfast at Sassafras. 

We had forgotten that Denver Pride was going on this weekend, and when we got close to the restaurant we saw that it was located on Colfax Ave, which had people lined up on both sides in anticipation of the Pride parade.
Trying to find parking was a nightmare since so many streets were blocked off, so we decided to go to the other Sassafras location, which was closer to the circus.

Even though we beat the brunch rush, we still were quoted an hour to ninety minute wait for a table. The hostess told me that I would get a text when our table was ready, so Emma and I went for a walk.

It took about forty minutes for a table to open up, and our food was well worth the wait.
I wasn't too impressed with my meal the last time I visited Sassafras, but they had such an excellent menu that I wanted to give them another try.
This time around I had a Cajun Benedict which had shrimp and crab cakes with a crawfish hash topped with poached eggs and smoked cayenne hollandaise sauce. It was excellent!

Emma and I also got an order of beignets to go so we would have something sweet to enjoy during our three shows.

I started our performance day in a wonderful mood and with such great energy, but as the day wore on the heat (the temperature was in the high 90s) and the subsequent lack of energy from the audiences due to said heat robbed me of my good humor. 

Jo, one of the dancers, gave the motivational speech before the third show. She used the Forrest Gump line of "life is like a box of chocolates" as an example of the people on our show. She went through the cast and said which kind of chocolate we were most like. Ryan and I got Snickers because we and the candy bar are both nutty. 
The best part of the speech was that all of us got an actual candy bar based on our assignment. Hooray!

After the shows there was a barbecue to celebrate Carmelo's birthday. I didn't stay for too long because I was falling asleep on my feet after such a draining day.

No comments: