Monday, June 29, 2015

Friday, June 26 & Saturday, June 27: Denver, CO

6/26/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

I woke up this morning at 6:00 a.m. to get ready for a television publicity. Ryan, Jose Alberto, Alexa, Pompeyo, two of his dogs, and I went to the local NBC station to film an interview for the morning news broadcast.

We couldn't believe our ears when the first thing out of the reporter's mouth was, "Now, you may have noticed that there are two big tops in Denver right now. Cirque Du Soliel, and this one, the Vazquez Brothers Circus."

One thing we learned in media training on Ringling was NEVER mention another circus by name. Always push the name of your circus.
We were upset that not only did she plug Cirque Du Soliel during our news segment, she mentioned them before us!

Back at the lot I caught a few more hours of sleep, and then I went over to Ryan's house to visit with our clown friend from "Kurios", Facundo.
Tatiana made lunch for us, and we also played several games of Mah Jong.

Ken Manosh, who was a floor crew member when Ryan and I were on Ringling, came to watch the first show tonight with his family.
It was quite a nice surprise to see Ken; it's been ten years or so since I last saw him.

Ryan and I had an embarrassing moment during the first vacuum gag. When I pulled the vacuum nozzle off Ryan's face to reveal his elongated features, the piece of wood that Ryan bites onto to keep the mask in place broke!
All of a sudden the mask dropped to the ground and Ryan spit a jagged chunk of wood out of his mouth.
There was absolutely nothing to do since the gag was over and the ending was ruined, so we beat a hasty retreat.

We weren't exactly sure how we were going to fix the problem, but Martin found a piece of wood that was long enough to support the weight of the face and still have room left for Ryan to bite onto.
We spent the entire between show break fixing the mask, so hopefully it won't give us any more trouble in the future.

We were frustrated with the second audience. The first show had a small crowd, but they had lots of energy.
There were considerably more people at the second performance, but they gave us nothing.
I'm not going to miss doing the shows in Denver.

6/27/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning Emma and I went to the Hammond Candy factory to get a free tour of the facility.
The tours are given every thirty minutes, and it consisted of a video history of the company, and then we got to see where the candy was made. We were able to see employees making ribbon candy and candy canes, which is a very interesting process.

At the conclusion of the tour everyone was given a free lollipop, and then we were ushered into the gift shop, where I purchased many different chocolate bars.
They had so many great flavors, like Red Velvet, S'mores, and Pigs & Taters (bacon bits and potato chips in the chocolate).

After the factory tour Emma and I headed downtown where we had lunch at Central Bistro & Bar. I had an unusual but delicious meal: Chicken fried brie and waffles. The waffles came with the fried cheese on top, along with blackberries and blackberry syrup.

After lunch we grabbed dessert at Little Man Ice Cream. The line was ridiculous, but there was an Express station set up with the most popular flavors, so we were able to get what we wanted without waiting forever.

We had fantastic audiences for the shows tonight. If the crowds responded like that the whole time we were here, Denver would hands down be my favorite stop on the tour so far.

After work I joined Emma, Vi┼Ťan, Laura, Eddie, and Lilly for dinner and a drink at Will Call, a neat bar not too far from the lot.
I had an arepa, which is a Colombian dish consisting of a corn flatbread stuffed with different ingredients.  Mine had chicken, black bean paste, and plantains.

As I'm sure you can all tell by now, I absolutely love the food scene in Denver!

No comments: