Thursday, June 11, 2015

Saturday June 6-Monday June 8: Salt Lake City, UT

6/6/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

Today Ryan taught me the Chinese game of Mahjong ( I played a few games with him and Tatiana, and I even won a few times thanks to beginner's luck.

It started raining between shows this evening, and the rain continued until the second half of the second show.
Even though it never rained especially hard, it continued steadily for that whole two hour period, and by the end of it, the lot was ruined.
Backstage was partially flooded, and there were huge puddles of standing water everywhere in the back yard.
I can't wait to get off this lot!

After the shows there was a birthday party for Claudie, our foot juggler, in the concessions tent.
Claudie and her husband, Dominik, ordered trays of Chinese food for everyone to eat; it was a nice change from the standard circus barbecues.

6/7/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I joined Emma, Laura, Hannah, and Amy on a trip to Temple Square to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform.
I figured I'd give it another shot after last week's unusual circumstances.

Photos compliments of Emma

I am happy to report that no one died during the performance, and I greatly enjoyed the music.

This week there was the added bonus of handbells being played along with the usual musical instruments.
I couldn't believe the size of some of the bells that were being used; they were huge!
All I could think of was me and Ryan whacking each other with them for a gag.

After the performance we all walked over to Em's Restaurant, which I patronized last week. The ladies were all impressed with my ability to find such great restaurants on the road.
All credit goes to the Yelp app on my phone, and my desire to eat as much food as possible!

Before the first show I was about to step outside of my trailer to powder my wet make up. Ryan suddenly called to tell me that when he left his house there was a snake by his steps. It got scared and slithered under my house towards my steps.
He wanted me to be aware so I didn't step on it on my way to work.

Before I headed to the tent Tatiana looked under the trailer and saw that the snake was just lying there.
For the whole rest of the day I was freaking out every time I went home, because I never knew if the snake would suddenly crawl out under my feet.

The first audience was really rough; they didn't seem to care about the show at all.
Ryan and I decided we needed some motivation after that, so for the next two shows we played Mahjong in the dressing room whenever we had a break.

Laura gave the third show motivational speech today. She went around the group and asked everyone what they were afraid of. Naturally I couldn't give a serious answer, so I said commitment. I guess that just shows that what I'm actually afraid of is people around me expressing any emotion besides happiness.

After everyone named a fear, Laura told us a story about why she is terrified of heights. She then went on to say how she was living proof that you can conquer your fears, because she now performs high in the air with her boyfriend, Vi┼Ťan, in the motorcycle act.
I was surprised, because even watching her do the act in the show for the first time, I had no idea that she was afraid. She faced her fear well!

As if her message wasn't inspirational enough, Laura also baked brownies for everyone!
As we ate the delicious baked goods, we kept expecting her to say, "I noticed that no one cited crapping themselves as a fear, which is good, because I baked Ex-Lax into these brownies!"

6/8/15- 7:30 p.m.

I spent all day preparing my truck and trailer for travel.

I was surprised that Ryan and I were actually able to hook our trucks up to our trailers this afternoon.
Usually we have to wait a couple of hours after the show before we can even get our trucks close to our houses, but in this town we were parked in an ideal location.

We had one quick, easy show tonight; Ryan and I had our props packed away into our trailers before the performance had finished.

We were able to leave the lot about an hour after the show ended. For once, when we left the lot was dependent on our schedule, which was wonderful since we are always some of the first people ready to leave the lot.

We drove about 200 miles of the 560 mile trip before stopping for the night at a Walmart in the western part of Wyoming.


Anonymous said...


How come there was no mention of the accident in the newspaper or the news?

Steve Copeland said...

That's a fantastic question. I wish I had an answer for you.
Every time I asked anyone at Temple Square about it, they became very vague.


Anonymous said...

Maybe he was a sacrifice to the gods?

Steve Copeland said...

That's my guess!