Sunday, June 28, 2015

Wednesday, June 24 & Thursday, June 25: Denver, CO


6/24/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I had breakfast with Aaron Schettler. Aaron is a Clown College graduate, and he toured with Ringling’s Red Unit in the mid 90’s.
We ate at the Denver Biscuit Company, which had amazing food; all of the items on the menu revolved around biscuits.
My biscuit sandwich had an egg, fried chicken, honey, mustard, and pickles. It was delicious!

Ryan and I will be building props for the Pompeyo Family dog act for Vazquez’s 2016 season, so today we went to buy paint and foam coating.
To buy the foam coating we visited a Reynolds Advanced Materials, the same retailer I visited in Dallas.
It was neat to walk around the shop and check out the displays containing examples of props and masks that could be made with the different products.

We were going to go out to eat, but it was getting close to showtime, I didn’t feel like trying to find parking to dine at any of the nearby restaurants, and the sky was full of ominous looking clouds.

We simply decided to cook a pizza and visit at the lot. Just as we were sitting down to eat Ryan called and said that people were leaving the lot due to a tornado warning in the area.
I went outside to see what was going on, and Sandra, our general manager, was telling everyone to get over to the Denver Coliseum for safety.

I couldn’t believe the drastic change the weather had taken since the early afternoon. Rain was coming down in buckets, and many parts of the lot were flooded. The temperature had dropped considerably, and the wind had really picked up.

All of us from the circus drove over to the Coliseum and parked our trucks under the Interstate overpass; we then went into the office area of the arena to wait out the storm.


Several of us were in a board room watching the weather report on a large, flat screen television. 
There was a shot of downtown, and prominently featured in the shot was the Cirque Du Soliel tent. Ryan yelled out, “Man, they get all the best publicity!”

After about ten minutes of hiding in the Coliseum the storm passed and we were able to go back to the lot.

We had a small audience for the show tonight, but they had loads of energy. The cooler temperature and the buzz from the crowd gave me a lot of energy as well.

Yesterday my nose was ripped apart thanks to a combination of sunburn and surgical cement. I knew that if I just kept coating my nose in the adhesive that the skin would never heal.
Therefore I came up with the brilliant solution of bandaging my nose before applying the glue.

Unfortunately I bandaged too much of my nose, so there was not enough skin in contact with the cement. After the water gag my nose was hanging on by a thread.
There is only one act between the water and carpenter gags, so I didn’t have enough time to apply new bandages and glue on a dry nose.
I simply ran back to my trailer, painted on a red nose, and then used that until Intermission, when I had plenty of time to solve the problem.



6/25/15- 7:30 p.m.

Early this afternoon Ryan and I went to Eagle Rock Supply to pick up styrofoam to carve for the Pompeyo dog props.

Back at the lot my juggler friend, Reid Belstock, came to visit with his performing partner, Warren Hammond.
Ryan, Reid, Warren, and I had a juggling jam in the park right next to the lot. We tried all kinds of different club passing formations, and we had a lot of fun. I can’t remember the last time I tried such intricate multi person passes.

Tonight after the show Emma and I made a run to Voodoo Doughnuts. I was able to find a parking spot right across the street from the shop, which was excellent luck.

I got these delicious doughnuts:


A voodoo doll, a maple bacon bar, and an "Old Dirty B***ard"

No comments: