Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Friday, July 24-Sunday, July 26: Melrose Park, IL

7/24/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning I ran out to do errands, and while I was out I stopped by Portillo's to get a couple of hots dogs with all the fixin's (pickle, tomato, onions, relish, peppers, and mustard) and a cake shake, a milkshake with a slice of chocolate cake mixed into it. Yeah, baby!

Martin began welding the steel to make Pompeyo's dog props today. I picked up a few supplies he needed as part of my errand running.

As I was coming back to the lot I noticed that there is a cool new banner hanging on a fence in front of the lot:

Now our pictures are displayed on both units of Vazquez. Wah ha ha ha ha!!!

After the first show's carpenter gag I was in the dressing room cooling off before I had to go back into the tent for the Intermission announcement.
I noticed that the music for the horse act was going on for a long time, so I went into the backstage tent to see if I could hear what was going on.

All of a sudden I heard Memo saying something over the microphone during a part where he normally doesn't talk.
I figured something was up, so I went into the curtain area to see what had happened. Just as I was going to the curtain, all of the horses were being led out.
It wasn't until I was out in the ring that I was able to see why the act was cut short. Apparently a couple of the horses were fighting and knocked over one of the front sections of ring curb.
Luckily no horses or audience members were hurt, and the section of curb was repaired by the start of the second half.

During the second Intermission announcement we had two guest ringmasters, a couple of local radio DJs that talked, and talked, and talked......and then for variety, they talked some more!
I was not afraid to display my annoyance and boredom during their presentation, and the audience members sitting close to me were cracking up.
It was such an awesome feeling to get so many laughs from performing such subtle, impromptu comedy. I needed that fix.

7/25/15- 6:00 and 9:00 p.m.

This morning I had to run to Lowe's to pick up some more supplies for making Pompeyo's new dog props, and I also got my two propane tanks filled while I was out.

On Monday night our show is having an International Night party where everyone is asked to bring a dish from a different country.
I decided that I am going to represent America by making my Nana's macaroni and cheese recipe. 

I made a test batch of it today to share with Ryan and his family. The finished product needed a little more salt, but other than that it was mighty tasty. Not as good as when my Nana makes it, of course, but not too far off.

One unfortunate side effect of cooking in my trailer is that when I use my convectional oven I have to turn off my air conditioning. The mac and cheese casserole took an hour to cook, and it was a mighty hot day to be sitting in my trailer with no AC for such an extended period of time.

I was afraid that heat would zap my energy for the two shows tonight, but I ended up being fine.

7/26/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning Emma and I went to breakfast at the Egg'clectic Cafe, which is a restaurant I used to love to visit on Kelly Miller.
I was happy to discover that there are three locations in the Chicago suburbs, because the one I used to visit wasn't exactly parking friendly for my truck.

After dropping Emma back off at the hotel, I went back to the lot and crawled straight back into bed. I had a tough time waking up to go to breakfast, so I felt I needed a little extra shut eye before our three shows.

Unfortunately, during my hour nap I had two extremely realistic and terrifying dreams. In the first I woke up and was taking my time getting ready, having a cup of coffee and puttering around. All of a sudden I glanced at the clock and saw that it was one minute until show time. Just then I could hear the show's theme song coming from the tent.
I immediately started slamming on my make up, thinking "Well, I'll miss opening, but at least I can make the water gag."
Just then I "woke up" from that dream, to realize that I was blind. I couldn't see anything besides a bright white light.
I stepped outside of my trailer, but all I could hear were my ducks (that should have been my first clue that I was dreaming, since I haven't had ducks in a year and a half), and the sounds of traffic going by. I started yelling for help, but nobody came to my aid.
Finally I stumbled back inside my trailer and groped around on my bed until I found my phone. Using the voice technology, I told my phone to call Ryan. When Ryan answered I began screaming, "I CAN'T SEE! I CAN'T SEE!"
At first Ryan couldn't hear me, but when he realized what was going on, he nonchalantly told me that he was off the lot, so maybe I could find someone else to help me.
Just as I was yelling, "I CAN'T SEE!" one last time, my alarm went off and I jerked awake, for real this time.

Luckily the three shows today weren't nearly as scary as my nightmares!

Before the third show I gave the motivational speech. It was all about how our perspective on life can make a huge difference:

Everyone was so complimentary of how clever my speech was. It was a shame I had to tell them the truth that I had just stolen it from Facebook.

No comments: