Friday, July 31, 2015

Monday, July 27-Thursday, July 30: Melrose Park, IL


7/27/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I went to see the movie, "Pixels", with Luis and his wife. I'd already read nothing but bad reviews about the film, yet I still knowingly bought a ticket (at least it was really cheap because we caught a matinee showing). I will say it wasn't as awful as people have made it out to be, but it was painful every time there was a scene that was supposed to be funny. At least I enjoyed all of the mindless video game action sequences.

After the movie I had to go by Lowe's to pick up some more supplies for Martin to use as he continues to weld the metal for Pompeyo's dog props. I also went by the grocery store to get the supplies I needed to cook for the show party tonight.

During the show this evening, Ryan and I were running around in the audience playing tag at the beginning of the vacuum gag.
As Ryan was chasing me I ran up a set of stairs just as a woman was coming down. I quickly darted behind her to hide from Ryan, but I was unaware until it was too late that she was leading her toddler down the stairs behind her.
The little boy saw me charging towards him, and he let out a bloodcurdling scream of terror. I quickly turned around just as Ryan was catching up to me. There was nowhere to go, because I had Ryan blocking me in one direction, and the woman and screaming child blocking me the other way on the narrow staircase.
I hugged Ryan in a death grip and began screaming in fear, trying to get us as close to the seats as possible so the woman could get her kid out of there.

I don't know what planet the lady was on, but it didn't seem to be ours. She just stood there for what seemed like forever, as her child continued to scream, completely paralyzed with fear.
Finally Memo started talking over the microphone, saying things like, "Poor clowns. Ma'am please take that little boy away, he's scaring the clowns."
Finally the lady began to slowly go away with the kid, who I am sure will now never be able to be around a clown again.

I fully expected the audience to hate us after that episode, but the whole situation made the crowd change their reception from the lukewarm response we got in the first half to absolutely peeing themselves over us in the second half.
Buncha sickos....

After work there was an International Night party outside of the tent.


Everyone was encouraged to bring a dish representing a different country, and since I am American, I decided to make something symbolic of our great nation. I chose macaroni and cheese! 'Merica!

I made the macaroni and cheese casserole that my Nana has made for me ever since I was a little kid. It took an hour to cook the dish, so everyone had already started eating by the time I made it over.
I'm proud to say my contribution was a smashing success, and it was gone in a matter of minutes.

I enjoyed sampling all of the delicious food that people prepared, and Ryan and I had a great conversation with Mecho about religion and circuses in Europe.


7/28/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning I went out to do laundry, and then I had to go by Home Depot to buy even more supplies for Pompeyo's dog props.

Later in the day Ryan and I went out to scan some banner designs at a FedEx for our friend Kevin Venardos' show, and then we went to a different Home Depot to pick up some more supplies.

We had a small crowd for the show tonight, so performing was really a chore. This coming week was added to the schedule at the last minute, so obviously the word is not out yet that we are staying until August 3rd. I really hope business picks up, or this will be a long week.


7/29/15- 7:30 p.m.

This afternoon I drove over to Berwyn, IL to check out two of my favorite stores in the area, Horrorbles and Reel Art.
Horrorbles contains all kinds of horror movie memorabilia: movies, books and magazines, posters, art, toys, and models.
I had a great time going through boxes of old Fangoria magazines. I picked out several issues from the late 1980s and early 1990s contained articles that tickled my fancy.

Reel Art is right next door to Horrorbles, and it has the same kind of merchandise as its neighbor, but pertaining to all genres of film and television.
I didn't find anything I wanted at Reel Art (the prices were considerably higher), but I did enjoy browsing through all of the shelves.

My clown friend, Beth Grimes, came to visit this evening. Before the show she told me about the Baraboo Circus Parade and the first day of Mooseburger Clown Arts Camp, both events that she had recently participated in.

Tonight was not my night as far as the show was concerned. We had another small, unenthusiastic crowd, and to make matters worse, I could not stop hurting myself!
First, in the blackout after the water gag I was running pell mell into the curtain when I crashed right into our box prop.
During Intermission, I was carrying our water mat outside to dry it off when I slammed my shin into the edge of the metal cart containing the mat for Duo Exxtrem's act.
Most embarrassing of all, as I was returning to the men's dressing room after one of our acts, my big, stupid clown shoe caught under the edge of one of the pieces of carpet, and I fell flat on my face in front of everybody. (That was at least the biggest laugh I got this evening)

On the bright side, after the show Beth was nice enough to treat me to dinner, where we talked about clowns and silent film comedians.


7/30/15- 7:30 p.m.

While I was out running errands this morning I noticed that whenever I would flip the switch for my left turn signal, the clicker was going at a much faster rate than usual.
At one of my stops I got out to investigate and saw that the rear light for the turn signal was out.

I drove to a nearby auto parts store and bought a replacement light. I was able to change out the lights right there in the parking lot, without assistance!
That's a pretty impressive feat for a mechanical bonehead like me!
I gotta tell you, doing an automotive repair all by myself made me feel so manly that I promptly tore a phone book in half, crushed a beer can on my head, and punched a shark in the nose!

Since I've been in Melrose Park my friend, Lisa, has recommended that I try Johnnie's Beef, one of her favorite food stands from her high school days.
It is only a mile and a half from the lot, but I was always afraid to drive over there because it seemed parking would be tricky for my truck.

Today I just decided to go for it, perhaps encouraged by my sudden rush of testosterone. I was happy to discover that parking was plentiful, and I had nothing to worry about.

I got an Italian beef sandwich with hot and sweet peppers that was absolutely amazing. (I'm craving one in the worst way as I write this entry).
I finished it off with a cool, refreshing lemon Italian ice. What a great meal!

We had a much better audience for the show tonight, thank God. And they were having fun!

After the show a family came up to us, and the patriarch told us, "You guys are f***ing hilarious!"
Ryan and I were touched, and backstage we were discussing how much we love it when people find it necessary to use expletives to properly describe how funny they think we are.

No comments: