Thursday, July 9, 2015

Sunday, July 5-Tuesday, July 7: Council Bluffs, IA


7/5/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning Emma and I had breakfast at Le Peep, which was voted as Omaha, Nebraska's top breakfast spot for 2015.
Meh.
It was alright......I think I was spoiled by all of the amazing food I had in Denver.

It was incredibly humid today, and as the shows progressed I felt more and more sweaty and disgusting.

I was surprised that the audiences for the first two shows were so responsive considering how sweaty they must have been sitting in that hot tent.
Unfortunately the last audience was not enthusiastic at all about being at the circus, and so we ended the day on a down note.

Hannah gave the third show inspirational speech this week. She had all of us get into a big circle, and we all gave a shoulder rub to the person in front of us for a minute.
I told Claudie, who was giving me a massage, that she should feel lucky that it was before the show, rather than after, because I was considerably less moist right then.

After the shows there was a birthday party for Mecho, who is half of Duo Exxtrem. The festivities had to be moved inside the backstage tent because of the sudden onset of rain, but at least the change in weather brought about some relief from the humidity.



7/6/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today I made a run to State Steel to pick up twenty eight twelve foot bars of steel square tubing that Ryan and I are going to use to make the dog props.

Pompeyo lent me his truck to pick up the order. The bars were placed in the back of the truck, but they were so long that they stuck out one corner of the truck bed by a few feet.
It was so stressful driving all the steel the 18 miles back to the circus. The whole drive I was afraid the steel would topple out of the truck, or that I would hit a passing vehicle with the sticks sticking out.

When I was just about a mile from the lot I glanced in the side mirror and about had a heart attack when I couldn't see the steel.
What had happened was I took a turn too sharp and all of the steel shifted from one part of the truck's bed to the other.
Boy was I relieved when I figured that out!

This afternoon we were told that we were adding one more day in Council Bluffs; I'm assuming since it is a short jump to Kansas City, MO, the next town.
I was happy because that meant that I had one more day to visit downtown Omaha, but I was sad that it meant we'd miss out on one night off this week.



7/7/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan, Nico, and I took a trip to downtown Omaha this morning. The first thing we did was check out the Heartland of America Park, which had a nice walking trail around a lake. The lake had a water fountain that shot water high into the air every few minutes.


There was also a big slide in the park that Nico wanted to go down. There were a lot of unruly kids going down the slide, and the little boy in front of us not only cut us in line, he was taking his sweet time to go down the slide.
He had a piece of cardboard to help him shoot down the metal slide even faster, but just as he was about to go he let go of the cardboard, which slid to the bottom without him.
The kid stood at the top of the slide yelling for someone to bring him his cardboard, which completely held up the line.
Just as I was about to suggest that he go down and get it himself, he recklessly ran down the slide and retrieved it.

Nico and I sat down and got ready to slide, but again the kid was taking his sweet time picking up the cardboard and moving off the slide. Apparently that is his talent: taking up space and getting in the way.

I mumbled to myself, "Any day now, kid", and then Nico yelled down, "Move it, please!"
I laughed the whole way down the slide.
The kid was angry at us, but at least Nico did say please!

We had lunch at a pizza parlor. Our slices were mediocre, and it took forever to get them.
Luckily the Omaha food scene was redeemed by a visit to Ted and Wally's for ice cream. I had a scoop of the Tecate and Lime flavor, which tasted just like the Mexican beer, and was just as refreshing on a sunny, summer day.

We had a small crowd for the show tonight (not surprising since this performance was added at the last minute), but surprisingly the crowd was really into us.
I was performing like I was completely out of my mind (must have been the Tecate in the ice cream), and the people were just eating it up.
I wish I had the energy to be that manic every show.

After the show I was able to get my trailer moved fairly quickly. I just then had to wait for Ryan since he had a trailer in front of his house.

We finally left the lot around midnight, and we drove the 181 miles to Kansas City, MO without stopping.
We were the first people to arrive at the lot around 4 a.m. Seconds after we parked, the Pompeyos and Carmelo arrived as well.
I was happy to crawl into bed and get some sleep after a long day.

No comments: