Saturday, July 4, 2015

Tuesday, June 30 & Wednesday, July 1: Council Bluffs, IA


6/30/15- Travel Day to Council Bluffs, IA

After just four hours of sleep we got up this morning and continued our drive to Council Bluffs, IA.
Luckily we drove almost half of the 540 miles last night, so the rest was an easy trip. That was a good thing, because the lack of sleep was really affecting me, and I almost fell asleep a couple of times. I had to keep singing along with my music to stay awake.

The Vazquez website lists us as playing Omaha, NE, but we are actually across the river in Council Bluffs, IA.
Our lot is in the parking lot of the Mid-America Center. I found it funny that besides this arena there is also a huge arena just a few miles away in downtown Omaha. I didn't realize this area was big enough to need two coliseums.

There is a movie theater across the street that I remember from when I was here nine years ago with Ringling. Our circus train was parked in Council Bluffs, but we were performing in Omaha.

Ryan, his family and I joined the other early arrivers, Vi┼Ťan and his brother, Andrei, Carmelo and his family, and the Pompeyos over at Hooters to have dinner and watch the soccer game.

I didn't stay too late because I was wiped out from the drive and from being awake for so long. It felt wonderful to climb into bed and get a good night's sleep.


7/1/15- Council Bluffs, IA- Day Off!

Our trailers were parked in the early afternoon, and as soon as I was able to shower and get my house situated I went into town to run errands.

When I came back from the laundromat and post office I was able to hook both my house and Ryan's house up to power and water.
Ryan took his family to Carson & Barnes, which was playing about 80 miles from us. Tatiana, Nico, and Abrianna will be staying with the Fusco family for the weekend, and they'll be coming back before we leave Iowa on Monday.

Once I got our utilities hooked up properly I drove to downtown Omaha. I explored an area of the city called the Old Market, which had brick paved streets and many different shops and restaurants.
I had dinner at Blue Sushi and Sake, which is my favorite sushi chain that I've been fortunate enough to visit in Fort Worth, Denver, and now here.

After eating I looked around to see what the Old Market had to offer. My best finds were two cavernous antique shops that had so many awesome treasures.
One shop was selling almost every toy from the 1980s that you could think of. It was quite a trip down memory lane for me, especially when I got to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember: when traveling late at night or early in the wee hours of the morning and sleep starts to creep in, sing the entire theme song of The Brady Bunch @ different octaves and THAT will keep your awake AND amused!

Steve Copeland said...

You've discovered my secret!!!!

Steve