Saturday, September 19, 2015

Sunday, August 30-Wednesday, September 2: Chicago & Aurora, IL


8/30/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

Emma and I had our Sunday morning brunch at a restaurant called, Stacked. My food was good, and it was super filling. For the first time this year I had leftovers to take home and enjoy during our three shows.

We had a dead, dead, dead, dead audience for our first show of the day. Did I mention they were dead?
The second crowd was much better, and I got in a quick visit after the show with Susan, a local clown and burlesque dancer, and her boyfriend.


I was feeling really down today, but Laura's third show motivational speech really picked up my spirits.
She talked about how grateful the performers should be because every week I motivate them before the third show, so she made a little sign for me to wear around my neck that said, "HUG ME", and everyone came and gave me a hug before we started the show.
I don't know if it necessarily motivated anyone else, but my spirits were picked right up.
Thanks, Laura!

We ended the day on a perfect note because we had a fantastic final audience.


8/31/15- 7:30 p.m.

I had a lazy day at home cleaning, packing things away, and resting up for our night jump.

We had a big crowd for our final show in Chicago. I'm happy that we did such good business this year, considering that we played the same lot with virtually the same show.

Nat Brown, the brother of Ryan's former partner, came to watch the show with his girlfriend, Gunna.
Adam Gerstacov, a graduate of Ringling's Clown College, also was at the performance with his son.

After loading our stuff out of the tent, Ryan and I were able to visit with our friends for a bit before we hit the road.

We would have left sooner than we did, but Ryan got a bit stuck in the mud pit that developed in front of my house during our stay on this lot.
Luckily I didn't have a problem with the muck since my truck has 4 wheel drive.

It was a quick 33 mile jump to Aurora, IL, our next town. We are going to be set up right next to a swanky mall that I visited two years ago when we were with Kelly Miller.


9/1/15- Day Off!

This morning I walked around inside the mall before it opened. I was thrilled to see that there is a Panera Bread with a Cinnabon directly across from it. It is like they designed the mall with me in mind!

Our trailers were parked in the early afternoon, and then I immediately set about on my day off errands: doing laundry and getting a hair cut.

I found a Half Price Books where I picked up a book containing the script to the Broadway musical: "Barnum". Score!

For dinner I went to a sushi restaurant that had expensive food that really wasn't that great.
Oh well, I guess all of my culinary adventures can't be winners!


9/2/15- Day Off!

This afternoon Ryan, his family, and I drove to Hampshire, IL to see our circus family at Kelly Miller Circus.
We spent all afternoon visiting with everyone. It was so good to catch up since we haven't seen our friends since they left Winter Quarters in January.

Our friend, Toto Johnson, drove over from Moline, IL with DJ Weiss, one of the clowns from Ringling's Blue Unit, and Samantha Pitard, one of the show's aerialists.
The three of them joined us in watching the 2015 Edition of The Kelly Miller Circus.


This was the first time I have ever seen a full Kelly Miller show from the audience, and I really enjoyed it.
My favorite act was Abrham Gebre, the bounce juggler; his skill was amazing!

Ryan even made his triumphant return to the Kelly Miller ring as a volunteer in one of Cristian's clown gags.


After the show there was a big barbecue in the backyard where we got to visit with everyone even more.

We got back to the Vazquez lot in Aurora much later than I wanted to considering the early hour we needed to wake up in the morning.
Still, it was refreshing to see all of our friends and enjoy a fun show.

2 comments:

Greg Michales said...

Hey Steve

Was wondering if Von Dukes act is going to be with you for the rest of the season or going back to the other show?
Greg

Steve Copeland said...

Greg,

They will be with us for the remainder of the season.

Steve