Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Monday, September 14- Sunday, September 20: Gaithersburg, MD


9/14/15- Travel Day To Gaithersburg, MD- 705 miles

We were in no particular hurry on this jump, so we slept in a bit before hitting the road. Still, I was extremely tired on the drive today.

We lost an hour crossing into the eastern time zone, so that made the trip seem to drag on even more than usual.

The majority of our drive was on toll roads, which was nice since we never had to worry about rush hour traffic, and the condition of the roads was nice, but I couldn't believe how much money I spent in one day on the tolls alone.
If I had known ahead of time, I would have planned an alternate route from the one the circus provided to us.

We stopped around 1:00 a.m. to get some rest. We were only 110 miles from Gaithersburg, so we could have gone the rest of the way, but we were worn out, and like I said earlier, we were in no particular hurry to get there.


9/15/15- Day Off!

Once again we slept in, and once we were up we drove the final 110 miles to the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, MD.

I figured we would be some of the last people to arrive at the lot since we took our sweet time completing the jump, but ours were actually two of the first performer trailers to arrive!

Since we were at the fairgrounds, there were areas to hook our trailers up to power and water, and also a place to dump our sewage tanks. We set our houses up and were able to wait to be parked in style and comfort.

I walked the surrounding area for awhile, and then I went back to my trailer to relax.

My girlfriend, Pamela, drove up from North Carolina this evening to spend some time with me, which made me very happy.


9/16/15- Day Off!

Our trailers were parked around lunchtime. After I got everything in my house set up, Pamela and I set out to explore Gaithersburg.

We had lunch at Coastal Flats, which had great seafood. I had crab cakes, which I figured I needed to eat while in Maryland, and Pamela had some delicious shrimp.

Next we headed to the Washingtonian Center, which had a boardwalk we enjoyed walking along.
There were all kinds of shops and restaurants around the water, and I got to see ducks!

When I sat down to rest in the middle of our walk, this strange cat made some unwelcome advances that made me very uncomfortable.


Aside from taking another walk once we got back to the lot, Pamela and I had a relaxing evening at home.
I wanted to get to bed at a decent hour since I had to be up really early for a publicity in the morning.


9/17/15- Day Off!

I woke up this morning at 4:00 a.m. to get ready for our television publicity. Pamela took off when I left the lot; luckily I will be seeing her again this weekend.

Ryan, Alexa, and I were driven to downtown Washington D.C. for our appearance on Buenos Dias, D.C. We were put on at the end of the live morning news program. One of the anchors directed us to a small space in front of a green screen and told us to stay there for the duration of the interview.
Meanwhile Alexa was on a couch a few feet to our left being interviewed by the show's hosts.

Ryan and I stayed in our place for awhile, but soon we became bored, and that combined with our loopiness over being awake so early made for a dangerous combination.
At the end of the interview we bum rushed the area of the set where Alexa was talking, and we reduced the segment to chaos by bombarding everyone in our reach with the pillows on the couch.

The cast and crew of the station absolutely loved it, and I'm sure it made for some exciting television!


I spent this afternoon napping and relaxing to make up for the sleep I lost this morning.

In the evening Ryan, his family, and I drove to the Stonehouse Grille to meet up with our friends from the Freestate Clown Alley #30/John Ringling North II-Steve & Ryan CFA tent.

We had a great dinner and visit with our friends Pat, Thom, Carol, and Jim, who we haven't seen since last year, and we also got to see some friends from the group who we haven't seen in a couple of years.

As always, our friends loaded us up with gifts and really made us feel special. I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend our night off.



9/18/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan made Chinese food for lunch today, and he was nice enough to invite me over to eat with his family.
Afterwards we unloaded our props and got everything ready for opening night.

In a trailer, the sink and shower runoff is called gray water, and we are supposed to have hoses that we run from the pipe where the water comes out to someplace out of the way.
This afternoon while I was attaching my hose, I accidentally snapped off the attachment on the pipe's cap that allows me to connect the hose.
I thought for sure that I had an extra one lying around, but I was wrong. I had every other kind of sewer cap known to man, just none with a hose attachment.

I drove all over creation trying to find one before the show, but to no avail. I will just have to borrow Ryan's cap until I have the time to go out and find one next week.

We had a big crowd for our first show in Gaithersburg, which was a great way to start our run here.


9/19/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning Emma and I went to brunch at First Watch, which is a restaurant I first heard about when we were playing Kansas City.

Ryan and I had a publicity before the first show. Two guys interviewed Pompeyo, Claudie, and us for a story that is apparently going to be aired internationally. That vague information is all I could get regarding who the guys were, so hopefully when the piece is finished I can see it online and share it here.

Ryan and I gave a completely ridiculous interview, so I'm interested to see how the guys edit it into the piece.

The two guys filmed the first show, which was a shame, because the audience was absolutely dead.
When I saw the crew backstage after one of our gags I wanted to say, "Remember in the interview when I said that making everyone in the tent laugh is the best feeling in the world? Well, I didn't get that this show!"

One moment that I'm hoping didn't get caught on camera happened during beach balls. A little kid was threatening me with his light up sword, and when I came closer to knock the ball into his section of the audience, he hit me with it. Hard.
I yanked the weapon out of his hands, walked over to the ring, and tossed the light sword inside.

Later during the bit I walked by and saw that someone had returned the sword to him. I walked by and asked, "Did you learn a lesson?"
Luckily he nodded yes instead of jabbing me in the eye!

We had a great audience for the second show. Where was the camera crew for that one?

During beach balls my ball popped in the middle of the bit. I quickly ran to the other side of the tent and stole Ryan's ball, and then ran back to my side.
Ryan did the same thing, and for the rest of the number we were stealing the ball from each other as each side played with it.
The audience loved it, but it involved WAY too much running for my tastes.

The tent was jam packed for the third performance; the start of the show was held for 10 minutes to get more people into their seats.
The audience was absolutely fantastic too. Again, where was the camera crew for that show?!

I was happy that Pamela returned today, this time to visit for a few days. She made a delicious dinner for me, which was the perfect way to end a good day of shows (if I pretend that the first one didn't happen, of course!)


9/20/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This weekend there was a flea market set up on the fairgrounds, just in front of the circus. Pamela and I spent the morning walking around and perusing the wares on sale.

Today the 5:00 p.m. performance was the packed one. David Orr and his wife came to watch that performance, and David was nice enough to give me and Ryan copies of the book, "Tall Tales Of A Short Clown" by Barry Lubin, better known to circus goers as Grandma the Clown.

Gaithersburg is proving to be an exciting town for the beach ball bit. Today during one of the shows a guy basically dove to hit my ball, and in doing so he knocked over several seats in the bleachers and gloriously wiped out on his face.
He got a huge laugh from the crowd, but if it takes that kind of pain to get a laugh like that, he can have the glory!

Before the third show I gave an inspirational speech that piggybacked on the one Mecho gave last week.
He talked about how he was a chubby kid that overcame the odds and outperformed all the other children in circus school by working hard and never giving up.
I talked about how I was also a chubby kid, and after a grueling regimen of playing video games and eating whatever I want, I now have the body I do today.
I then lifted up my shirt to give everyone some proper motivation for the final show:

I call them "Abs By Pamela"

No comments: