Thursday, October 29, 2015

Tuesday, October 6-Monday, October 12: Landover Hills, MD

10/6/15- Day Off!

Our trailers were parked this afternoon, and in the evening Ryan, Alexa and I were driven to downtown D.C. to do a television publicity.

Driving to and from our nation's capitol took a lot longer than the actual PR event. We were placed in front of a green screen that a set was superimposed over, and we filmed two very short interviews that will be broadcast on our opening day.


My girlfriend, Pamela, came to visit this evening. She brought along her world famous (the title is self proclaimed) eggplant parmesan, which was delicious!


10/7/15- Day Off!

We had beautiful weather today, so Ryan and I took full advantage of it and worked on Pompeyo's dog props.

In the evening Pamela and I drove to the National Harbor, which I had spotted on our jump Monday night.

We had dinner at Granite City Food & Brewery, which had great food and beer, but lousy service.
After our dinner we walked along the pier and enjoyed the sights and atmosphere.

We were going to ride the Skywheel, the giant, light up ferris wheel that serves as a landmark for the harbor, but when we found out how expensive it was, we decided to just take selfies in front of it instead.



I was pleasantly surprised to find "The Awakening" at the National Harbor. "The Awakening" is a statue of a giant crawling out of the earth, and it is something I have wanted to see since I first played Washington D.C. with Ringling 12 years ago.


Pamela and I had a lot of fun crawling on and taking pictures with the giant's appendages.




10/8/15- Day Off!

Pamela left this morning, but I was excited that the next time she was coming to visit it would be my birthday AND she would be staying with me for the rest of the tour!

Ryan and I did more prop work today; I spent all day sanding both wood and styrofoam.

I did take a break long enough to drive to Alexandria, VA to visit a costume shop that had the make up I was running out of.


10/9/15- 7:30 p.m.

This morning Ryan and I finished sanding and shaping all of the foam dog props, and we were going to start coating them with hardener, but the sky suddenly turned overcast and it began drizzling.

Right before the show it began pouring rain; I felt like I was back in Manassas, VA!

Tonight, just as the dog act was ending, Ryan and I were in the seats prepared to start the water gag. Jesus Vazquez, who was acting as ringmaster, suddenly made an announcement in Spanish about stopping the show for five minutes.

I asked around backstage what was going on, and I was told that fire was coming out of the top of the show's generator, so they were switching to the other generator to avoid problems.

Since there was a sizable gap in the programming due to this unscheduled disruption, and since the show's energy had successfully been killed, I felt the need to get the crowd focused and pumped up again.
I did so by falling down a set of stairs and taking out a row of empty chairs in the VIP section. King of Subtlety, right here!

Due to a late start, the pause in the first half, and a long Intermission, the show ended 30 minutes late. Despite that, the crowd stayed very responsive for the whole performance.


10/10/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

Emma and I were going to have brunch at a pancake house close to the lot this morning, but it was too ghetto, so after a quick GPS search I was led to the Silver Diner, which was a great find.
The restaurant had the typical diner decor, but the menu was very inventive and catered to flexitarians.....whatever the heck those are.

We had a very small crowd for the first show, but they weren't a bad audience.

During one of the vacuum gags I had a rough time with the bit where I put my wig on a bald guy. The guy I picked wanted nothing to do with us, so I gave the wig to another guy to throw onto my head. That guy turned out to be a major smart aleck, so I just couldn't win.
I finally raised my head to the top of the tent, threw up my hands, and yelled, "Why, God?! Why these two?", which got a big laugh from the audience.

During the second show's Intermission I was talking with Vincent and Pom Pom, who have the big cat act.
Our conversation turned to South Carolina, and I told them that I was from there. After a little more talking, I discovered that their son lives in Walterboro, my home town!
You could have knocked me over with a feather; what a small world!

In between the last two shows, Ryan's washer and dryer malfunctioned, so we had to do the final water gag of the day with wet clothes. That was a cold, not fun at all gag.


10/11/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I made a trip to the laundromat to wash and dry the water costumes from last night's performance.

Luckily during the day Mecho let us use the dryer that the show bought for him to use on his costumes from the tank act. Our schedules work out perfectly where our laundry is never in the way of his.

We had good audiences for all three shows today, and we did great business for the final two shows of the day.

After 3 weekends of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 in the dressing room, Julius Espana finally beat the game today, which was cause for much celebration.

Before the third show I gave the motivational speech as "El Payaso Loco", utilizing the clown luchador mask I bought in Mexico last year.


With my sudden, jerky movements, feats of uncontrolled rage, and constant screaming, I'm pretty sure I scared some inspiration into everyone.


10/12/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today Ryan and I began coating the foam dog props with hardener. There was a steep learning curve involved with using the new chemical we bought, but by the end of the day we had a pretty good handle on it, and we managed to coat almost everything at least once.

By show time I was feeling absolutely worn out. I felt it was harder to get through the one show this evening than it was to get through the six shows this past weekend.

1 comment:

carl bly said...

Finally news! I was beginning to worry about you. Glad all is well and you are just behind a little. Having all those women around will slow you up.