Saturday, October 17, 2015

Tuesday, September 29-Monday, October 5: Manassas, VA


9/29/15- Day Off!

This morning I went for a walk while I waited for the lot to be laid out. At the fairgrounds entrance I saw a sign that's redundancy made me laugh.


It took much longer than usual for our trailers to get parked today. It was almost 4 p.m. before my house was finally moved to its spot.

It had been drizzling rain all day, but in the late afternoon it really began to come down.

I braved the elements to go do laundry and go grocery shopping. I got absolutely soaked taking my groceries from the truck into my house, and my feet had been cold and wet since I left the lot a few hours before.
It was heavenly to take a hot shower and put on some dry clothes.

I was dismayed to discover that the sunlight over my bed was leaking the whole time it had been raining, so my sheets were drenched. And this time I can honestly say it wasn't because of me!

My girlfriend, Pamela, drove up to visit from North Carolina this evening. We made dinner, and then for dessert we enjoyed the brownies that she baked.


9/30/15- Day Off!

I woke up this morning feeling very sick. I had a sore throat and my whole body was aching. Luckily I had some medicine left over from the last time I was sick, and after taking it I felt somewhat human again.

Pamela and I went to have breakfast at a local family restaurant, and then we browsed through a huge used book and movie store and a nearby Halloween shop.

Back at the lot I used my truck to climb on top of my trailer and hopefully fix my leak with some caulk that I bought.
I was fortunate that it had stopped raining long enough for me to do that task. The sun even made a brief appearance!

Pamela and I took advantage of the change in weather to go to downtown Manassas and walk around for a bit.
Other than that, we just spent a relaxing night at home in the trailer.


10/1/15- Day Off!

Pamela left fairly early this morning, and once I woke up I went into town to fill my propane tanks and buy an electrical heater.
Mine crapped out on me at the beginning of the season, and this was the first time since then that I actually needed to use it again.

Tatiana made chicken soup for her family, and she was nice enough to invite me over to have some since I was still sick.
After we ate, Nico came over to my house for awhile so we could play video games.

In the evening I drove to Fairfax, VA to meet up with my friend, Cricket. He and I worked together as clowns on Ringling, and it was good to spend some time catching up with him.
We had dinner at the Hard Times Cafe, which had amazing chili mac (chili on top of spaghetti), and then we jumped around to a couple of different bars to talk some more. We would look for another spot when the place we were in became too loud and rowdy.

Although it doesn't get too much rowdier than these two hellions!


10/2/15- 7:30 p.m.

On the last show in Gaithersburg we broke the blueprints that cover up the hole in the top of the carpenter gag box.
During these days off Ryan had made new blueprints out of fabric, and he sewed velcro onto the back of them.

This morning he handed them over to me for painting. I didn't do nearly as intricate a job as Ryan did on the original blueprints, but I did my best, and I slipped in a few jokes that no one will ever see or appreciate except for us.

The almost constant rain we had been receiving compliments of Hurricane Joaquin made the lot an absolute muddy mess.

It took awhile for us to load in our props because we carried everything over so we could keep the wheels clean. That meant that we had to empty all of the props out of the carpenter box and then carry them over by hand so we could make the box itself light enough to carry over.

The only thing we didn't carry was the car, which is simply too heavy because of the engine. I found a relatively mud free path to the front of the tent, and we took the car in through the entrance, around the seating area, and into backstage.

Being out in the cold and drizzling rain for over an hour left me soaked and freezing, which was not a good way to be when trying to knock out the cold I developed.
I had some more of Tatiana's chicken soup and warmed up in my house until show time.

We had a great crowd for our opening night. I was worried that no one would show up here because of the weather, the apparent small size of the town, and the remoteness of the lot.
I was pleasantly surprised!

There were heat cannons going full blast in the tent, so while we were working we were nice and toasty. In the dressing rooms, not so much.

Something happened to the motor that is used to get Mecho's tank of water in and out of the ring, so Duo Exxtrem could not perform tonight.
Because of that we did finale immediately after the juggling act. I was totally fine with having a night off from doing the vacuum gag.


10/3/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

The rain finally slacked off this morning, but we still had cold, damp weather for our three shows.

The problem with the tank's motor was repaired last night, so we were back to doing the full performance today.

There was a small crowd at the first show, but my friend, Cricket, came to support us with some of his friends from the local burlesque scene.
Luckily we had good business for the other two shows.

During the second vacuum gag Ryan and I were cleaning off the bald head of a man in the audience. There just happened to be a "Wet Floor" sign nearby, so after Ryan squeegeed the man's head, I balanced the sign on top of his cranium. It got a good laugh from the crowd.

Everything was so disgusting backstage from all of the mud. What bugged me was that our towels for cleaning the water mat could not dry because of the weather.


10/4/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning Emma and I went to Cracker Barrel for brunch; I was excited to go because it has been a long time since I have had breakfast there.

It didn't rain today, and the weather was slightly warmer. I'll take it!

The shows were ok today; nothing spectacular. At the end of the day I was just happy to be finished with another six pack.


10/5/15- 7:30 p.m.

The sun finally made an appearance today, so it was back to work on Pompeyo's dog props. I was frustrated that we lost an entire week of working on the props because of the bad weather sent over from Hurricane Joaquin.

I spent all day redoing work that we had done weeks ago. After we finished the crates that will serve as dog seats, Pompeyo asked us if we could make it so the two small seats fit inside the two big seats to make for easier packing.
I had to take the wooden borders off the four sides of the two small boxes, and then I cut and attached borders that were much thinner.

Ryan and I got it all done, but it was frustrating that we spent all day working and didn't make any real progress.

Our long period without seeing the sun must have made us forget proper protection. By show time Ryan and I both could feel the heat emanating from our sun burned faces.
I was worn out and drained from being outside all day; it was tough to get through the one show, and load out required extra effort as we still had to carry all our wheeled props out to our trailers to keep them from getting covered in mud.

Carl Bly was at the performance tonight, and he was nice enough to play along and be a good sport when we used him as a volunteer in the vacuum gag.
After the show I spent a little bit of time talking with him before I had to hit the road.

The 54 mile jump to Landover Hills, the next town, was an easy one. The road was a little bumpy and narrow right at the end of the trip, but besides that it was a piece of cake.

We are set up at the site of an old mall, and we are right next to a Walmart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked the Vazquez website and I do not see any dates after your October 19th show in Landover Hills, MD.

Where does your unit go next? Or is October the end of the season for the West and East coast units?

Steve Copeland said...

We are going to a mall just outside of Baltimore, MD. The East Unit is going to Queens next.
On our unit we have been finding out where we are going maybe a day before we go there; it makes it pretty hard to make any kind of plans....

Steve