Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Tuesday, October 13-Monday, October 19: Landover Hills, MD


10/13/15-7:30 p.m.

Today I spray painted the hurdles for Pompeyo’s act. It sounded like a much easier task in my head, but when I went to do the job, the wind was changing direction every few seconds, and I had to constantly move the props to get them in the path of the paint spray.

We had one uneventful show this evening, and then we celebrated Eddie’s birthday with a peace and love party. Everyone was encouraged to wear all white clothing to the party; since my white clothing items were almost non existent, I had to improvise.

White thermal underwear and white trash bag shoes. Circus chic!




10/14/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I were up early this morning to coat the foam dog props with hardener. Ryan also started painting the wooden crates that will serve as dog seats.

Once again the wind caused us to have a frustrating work day, because leaves and other detritus kept blowing onto and sticking to the tacky chemical on the foam.

Once again I was worn out for our show this evening; thank goodness it was just one performance.

I had another guy in the audience that was a pain to deal with at the beginning of the vacuum gag, plus there were a couple of grown women behind him who were screaming their fool heads off because they were “afraid of me”. I made sure to sit in their laps at one point while Ryan was doing a bit.

Luckily after the show we had the redeeming factor that one man came up to us and said that he didn’t expect to have as much fun at the circus as he did.


10/15/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today Ryan did more painting while I ran out to get supplies for the project.

The good news is that we finished coating the foam props in hardener. Yay progress!

Bill Karlton and Todd Schall-Vess came up to see the show all the way from Richmond, VA. 
They are friends of John Moss, and I knew from seeing them in the audience that I had met them before.
Ryan and I chatted with them for a bit after the performance.
(Todd, could you please send me the link to your Flickr account so I can share the photos you took of the show?)


10/16/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I were up early once again today to sand the coated foam props, and then we primed them all.
I was happy that we finished all of the priming after a full day of work. Yay, more progress!

We had a good audience tonight; the best of the week so far.

After the show we saw our manager up in the seats talking with a man. He claimed that one of the beach balls hit him and caused him to fall and badly injure himself.
Some people from the show asked Ryan about the supposed incident since it had happened on his side, but Ryan raised a valid point. He didn’t see anyone get hit and fall down, and if it did happen, there would have been a big reaction from the audience. We know, because it has happened before, and those guys didn’t cry about it and try to take advantage of the show afterwards.

After the show there was a birthday party for Emma. With a varied spread of appetizers and a chocolate fondue fountain, it was a welcome change from the usual birthday barbecues.


10/17/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I joined the dancers for Emma’s birthday brunch at the Silver Diner. 

There was almost nobody at the first performance today; it was a real chore to get through it.

The second show was a bit better, and then we had a great audience for the third show, so at least we ended the day on a high note.

Ryan invited me over for dinner with his family after work. We had the delicious won ton soup that he and Tatiana had been making over the course of the whole day.


10/18/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

Before the first show I got to visit with my friend, Rebecca, who I first met during my Ringling days. She was a promoter in the D.C. area, and now she lives close by and works for the government.
She just happened to see a poster at the mall that she went to yesterday, so she got in touch with me and came to watch today’s first show.
She also brought delicious brownies that I shared with the cast.


My girlfriend, Pamela, arrived today, and the best part is that she is here to stay for the rest of the tour. Hooray!

Besides that bit of good news, today was a long day. The audiences didn’t really seem to care for me and Ryan in any of the shows.

After one of the vacuum gags Ryan remarked to me that he needed a vacation. Just after that we did finale and I absentmindedly started doing bits from the opening. I guess I need a vacation too!

Likewise, my mind was completely in outer space for the final show. It was just one of those days, and I was happy to get it over with.


10/19/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today was my 32nd birthday. After waking up I went over to Ryan’s house to see the beautiful Steve cake that Tatiana made for me.


The Combs family, Luis, and his wife, Nora, all joined me and Pamela for my birthday lunch at the Masa Hibachi restaurant in Silver Springs, MD.


The food was delicious, and I ate so much that I was feeling sick afterwards. Yay birthday gluttony!


After lunch we all walked around downtown Silver Springs for a bit, but pretty soon I was feeling worn out and I decided to head back to the lot to rest before our show and night jump.

Unfortunately I didn’t have much time to relax because I had a lot of work to do to prepare for load out and traveling.
Also, before the show I took Tatiana’s delicious red velvet cake around the circus to share it with everyone.

In the beach ball reprise, the first guy who hit my ball popped it, so I was up the creek without a paddle.....err.....beach ball. I quickly ran over to Ryan’s side, stole his ball, and pushed him into a row of empty seats.
I ran his ball over to my side and hit it around until Ryan came over. He picked up a metal folding chair and chased me through the ring and seats as people hit the remaining ball around.
Needless to say, I’m sure it was a wacky sight to behold.

I was so happy to finish our last performance in Landover Hills. It has not been one of my favorite towns audience wise.

We left the lot around 11:00 p.m., and then it was only an easy 38 miles to Windsor Mill, MD, the next town.

Our lot is set up close to a mall; the tent is located right next to a WEIS supermarket.

2 comments:

Don said...

Happy Birthday Steve!

Don Covington

Steve Copeland said...

Thank you, Don.

Steve