Friday, November 6, 2015

Tuesday, October 20-Tuesday, October 27: Windsor Mill, MD


10/20/15- Day Off!

Pamela and I walked around the mall next to the lot while we waited for my trailer to get parked. It wasn't as nice as I was expecting it to be, but it did have a fantastic suit store where Ryan and I bought wardrobe for our show in Baraboo next summer.

While we were purchasing the outfits, one of the salesmen asked us why we were buying so many suits. We responded that we were performers. He asked what we did, and we decided to keep the word "clown" as far out of the conversation as possible.
Ryan told the man that we were singers, and the guy perked right up. Apparently a singing group had recently bought their suits from the store, and they had even given an impromptu a cappella concert to the staff.
The salesman begged and pleaded with us to do the same since he had given us such a good deal on the suits, and Pamela did her best not to burst out laughing as we squirmed and tried to get out of exposing ourselves as frauds. True we could have sung for him, but it wouldn't have been anything like he was expecting, and we wanted to take a little break from disappointing people.

We finally weaseled our way out of singing; instead we did a little eccentric dancing so the staff wouldn't be left empty handed.
As we walked away from the store, I turned to Ryan and exclaimed, "Singers?! You couldn't think of anything better than singers!?"

Pamela and I did some laundry after my house was parked, and then later in the evening we met up with a few of the dancers to watch the new horror movie, "Crimson Peak".
I really enjoyed the film, and I had forgotten that Guillermo Del Toro had directed it until I saw the end credits. Suddenly some of the more grisly scenes in the picture made a lot more sense.


10/21/15- Day Off!

This morning I went all over creation looking for a certain brand of orange paint that Ryan and I use. I wasted way too much time before finally giving up and picking up a different brand.

In the early afternoon I had my belated birthday party at a bowling alley just down the road from the lot. I was happy that in addition to a group of friends from the circus, our Baltimore area friends that we have met through the circus were also able to attend.


I had a lot of fun bowling (I even won one of the games on my lane), and even more fun visiting with everyone that came to celebrate.
I don't know what I would have done without Pat Stevenson and Carol Lang, who helped organize things once we got to the alley; they made sure that everything ran smoothly, and it was greatly appreciated.

HEY!

One of the presents I received for my birthday was a gift card that was good for use at several different restaurants, so tonight Pamela and I used it to go on a dinner date.


10/22/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I were up early this morning to paint Pompeyo's dog props. I was happy, because even with a break to load our props into the tent, I felt we got a lot accomplished.

A couple of funny things happened while we were outside painting. One of the set pieces we created for the act is a big set of Western saloon doors with angled gates coming off the side.
I had the whole thing standing up so I could paint the back side, and while I was working, Pompeyo called his poodle, Sugar, to come to him.
The set was between Sugar and Pompeyo, but he didn't let that stop him. The poodle ran right at the set, and jumped through the open space in one of the side gates without even touching any of the edges.
Circus dog!

Another amusing incident: At one point I was running back and forth between our painting area and my trailer.
I kept passing by Nico, who was outside his house playing with some of the other kids. On one of my trips by, Nico raised his head from what he was doing and greeted me with, "Hello, white man!"

We had an extremely small crowd for our opening night show in Windsor Mill. They weren't a bad audience....there just wasn't anyone there.

Pamela began her new job with the show tonight. She stood at the tent's entrance and collected tickets.

The circus figured out that the crew doesn't need three days between towns when our jump is relatively short, hence our Thursday opening.
I was bummed not having another day off, but it is much worse for the crew, who are now busting their butts from Monday evening until the first show in the new town is finished.
Yay, circus!


10/23/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I were up early again this morning to paint. I finished painting the backs of all the foam props, and then Ryan gave me a better brush and had me paint fine lines on some of the wooden crates. What a pain in the keister that was!

Since we were mainly doing detail work on the props, I felt like we didn't get as much accomplished today, even though we worked the same amount of time.

We had a slightly bigger crowd for the show tonight, which was encouraging.


10/24/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

This morning I finished painting lines on the wooden crates, which made me very happy.

We had small crowds for the first two shows today, but we finally did good business for the 8:00 p.m. performance.


10/24/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

Ryan and I did a little more painting this morning before the first show. Normally we don't do prop work on a three show day, but none of the animal acts will be with us in the next town, so we figured we needed to get as much done as possible before that happens.

We had a small crowd for the first show, but the audience was surprisingly responsive.
Our friend, Keith, was watching that performance, and he was nice enough to bring us a bag of gifts to enjoy.
Among those presents was a Ringling Bros. program from the 40's that I found amusing. There was an article that listed the different types of clowns, and I was cracking up at some of the ridiculous names they apparently pulled out of their butts for the numerous clown types.

The 5:00 p.m. show was the performance with the biggest crowd today.

By the third show I was going out of my mind. I may have tied an audience member's blanket around my neck like a cape and tried to fly from the second row of seats during the beach ball reprise.....

Visan has been brewing his own beer over the past few weeks, and after the shows he invited the male performers over to his house to try the first batch.
He even asked me and Ryan to create a label for the brew:




10/26/15- 7:30 p.m.

Pamela and I had a nice day out today, running errands and spending some time together away from the circus.

While we were out I printed out the first draft of our script for our new show, and I also did a little birthday shopping with some of the gifts cards I received last Wednesday.

Our circus historian friend, Dick Flint, came to see the show tonight with his son. I was happy they were in the crowd; otherwise the show would have been a real drag.
I'm getting mighty tired of working to small crowds in this town.


10/27/15- 7:30 p.m.

Today I ran out to do some more errands, and then I got everything in my house ready for travel.

Pamela is from Alabama originally, and for today's lunch she made some authentic Alabama cuisine for me: kraut and wienies, fried taters, okra, pinto beans, and corn bread. I added my Nana's macaroni and cheese recipe to the mix, and we had a good ol' down home meal!

Thankfully we had a responsive final audience in Windsor Mill. Our Baltimore friends, Pat, Thom, Jim, and Carol came to watch, along with Dan Kleintop, a circus fan from Virginia who was in town on business.

We visited with our friends for awhile after the show, and then we hit the road for Freehold, NJ around 11:00 p.m.

It was a 166 mile jump to the next town, and it was close to 4 a.m. by the time we arrived at the beautiful Freehold Raceway Mall.

No comments: