Monday, November 16, 2015

Wednesday, October 28-Monday, November 2: Freehold, NJ

10/28/15- Day Off!

Our lot is right next to a really nice mall, so while we waited to be parked, Pamela and I walked around and checked out the different shops and restaurants.

There were intermittent periods of heavy rainfall today, and unfortunately one of them occurred while I was getting my trailer parked.
I got soaked to the bone by the time I was done unhooking my truck, which left me none too pleased.
Adding to my bad mood was the fact that our trailers are parked far away from the circus, and it is going to be a real pain in the butt to get the props to the tent on our opening day and then back again on load out night.

Once I had a hot shower I was feeling much better, and I was even happier when Pamela and I stepped out for a date night.
Unfortunately back at the lot I was met with more frustration. Because Ryan and I have trailers with cargo doors that need to open for prop loading and unloading, and because all the trailers are parked in a tight area, Ryan and I are all the way at the end of the long line of trailers.
This also put us very far from the power boxes, and I discovered that I didn't have enough cable to plug my house into electricity.

Since it was late and no one was around, I resolved myself to dealing with the problem in the morning.
This was one day that made me glad that we are getting off the road next year. I've had about enough for now.

10/29/15- Day Off!

Today was a new day, and I felt completely refreshed after getting a good night's sleep.

Nestor, who parks our trailers, was nice enough to let me borrow his power cable for this town. It was just long enough to let me plug into electricity; if my trailer had been another few feet away, I would have been in the same predicament.

Pamela and I went out to do laundry today, and then we went to a couple of different thrift stores to shop for my Halloween costume.

We ended the evening having dinner with the Combs family at the Cheesecake Factory just a stone's throw from our houses.

10/30/15- 7:30 p.m.

Ryan and I put all of our costumes and the majority of our props into the back of my truck and drove them over to the tent this morning; it took two trips.
The carpenter box and the little car we pushed to the edge of the road, and then across a busy intersection with no crosswalk to get them to the backstage.

Our twin photographer friends, Jason and Justin Senft, came to visit and watch the show this evening. They brought me a belated birthday gift, an awesome Bumble decoration for my Christmas display back home.

We had a good crowd for our first show in Freehold. We don't have the dog or tiger act in this town because the mall didn't want animal acts, so the Vazquez brothers brought in a motorcycle jumping act to close the show.
Jason and Ray are jumping their bikes from a small ramp in the entrance to the seating area to a humongous landing ramp located at the back of the ring.
As soon as one of them would complete a jump, they would then drive under the seats and back into the lobby area to get ready to jump again.

Ryan and I found out right before the show that we would be covering the set up of the two ramps, and we were worried that the portion of the vacuum gag that happens in the seats wouldn't be long enough for the crew to set up everything properly, but that turned out to not be an issue.
What was a problem was that the ramp in the seating entranceway blocked many of our bits from different sections of the audience; it was frustrating to try and adjust all of our blocking on the fly.
In addition to that, Luis couldn't see us for half of the gag, so he had to keep guessing when to hit our sound effects.

10/31/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

We had a small, dead crowd for the first show; it was really tough performing for them. I guess they all came to the show as zombies in honor of Halloween.

The crowds improved for the last two shows, but I think we would have done much better business today if it wasn't Halloween.

Speaking of the holiday, the circus kids trick or teated door to door at the trailers this evening.

That's Nico on the right as a mummy.

There aren't many children on the show this year, and even though I loaded up each child with a mountain of sugar, I still had lots of leftover candy at the end of the evening.

11/1/15- 2:00, 5:00, and 8:00 p.m.

I loved getting an extra hour of sleep tonight for the end of Daylight Savings Time.

Joey Klein picked me up this morning and took me to brunch down the road at a diner. We then went back to my trailer and visited until it was time for me to get ready for work.

We did good business for the first show, which was a welcome change from yesterday's 2:00 p.m. performance.

The second show was jam packed with people, and Ryan and I rocked them with our gags; it was awesome!
After the show we were mobbed by people wanting pictures with us. I was happy to be doing such good business for our photo concession, but at the same time it was a bit overwhelming. A few times I had to ask the crowd to back up, because we really were getting surrounded, and it was making me incredibly anxious.

We did good business for the final show of the day, but it didn't top the second show.

After work we had the 2015 Vazquez Halloween Party. Nico, Abrianna and I went as Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, the Warner Brothers (and Sister) from one of my favorite cartoons, "Animaniacs".

I wish I could share my photos from the party, but the colored lighting in the tent led to terrible pictures taken on my phone.

Here are a few of the different costumes as photographed by Dominik, who has an excellent camera.

11/2/15- 7:30 p.m.

This afternoon Dominik was nice enough to take new promotional photos for me and Ryan to use for the show we are building for next summer in Baraboo.
I'm so excited about how well they came out.

When I went over to the office to get paid this evening, I was informed that we would be staying one more week in Freehold because of the excellent business we did over the weekend.
I was happy because it meant one more week before we have to deal with the hassle of getting our props all the way from the tent back to our trailers.

Our clown friend, Pat Cashin, visited tonight with his sons Shane and Jamie. Another of our clown friends, Dan McCallum, who works at the nearby Six Flags park, also dropped by. Their presence was a great addition to the good news I received about staying in Freehold for another week.

We had a big crowd for the show tonight, and they were an excellent audience. After the show we were taking pictures with the public, and one father asked, "Can I give you guys a tip?"
I answered, "Sure", expecting him to give us a bit of advice or criticism, but then he slipped five dollar bills into each of our hands. 

Nico watched the show tonight with our friends, and he and Jamie became fast friends, bonding over putting buckets of popcorn on their heads.

After work we ordered pizzas and had a little get together at Ryan's house with our friends, which of course was great fun.

No comments: